Do you cover your pool during the day?

Haley

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Washington
Hi, (again) everyone, :crazy:

Quick question that I didn't seem to find on TFP. Do you cover your pool during the day when not in use?

Our Intex came with a really nice vinyl pool cover that's dark (doesn't allow any sunlight through). So far I've only used it at night, but I wasn't sure if I should use it during the day too? Will I increase/decrease my chances of algae if I cover it? (After Googling, some say algae likes to grow on it, some say it keeps the sun out so decreases algae bloom...) What's the School of Thought on covers? :scratch:

Thanks!

Assuming the cover is opaque to sunlight, then it will reduce how much chlorine you lose to the sun during the day. One downside is that CC can build up if you do not give you pool some sunlight, since the sun also effectively breaks down CC. If you start noticing the "chlorine smell" then maybe leave you cover off more.

Haley, my recommendation is to leave that cover on when not using the pool. That cover will help keep Crud out of your pool and not plug those cheap Intex filters. Additionally, as noted before, leaving the cover will stop the chlorine from being burn off, meaning less need for bleach and more money in your pocket.

I have never had and infection in my Intex pool that I didn't start to see happen first by testing. Proper chlorine levels will keep any infection at bay. This year I have dumped the salt water thing and gone strickly bleach. Honestly 5-7 minutes a day to test and dump some Clorox and my pool looks the best ever. I do keep my cover on when the pool is not being used period. My filters last forever and pool satisfaction is at a all time high here. And yes I have trees all around me......if you do to....keep it covered.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.