Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you cover your pool during the day?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you cover your pool during the day?

Hi, (again) everyone,

Quick question that I didn't seem to find on TFP. Do you cover your pool during the day when not in use?

Our Intex came with a really nice vinyl pool cover that's dark (doesn't allow any sunlight through). So far I've only used it at night, but I wasn't sure if I should use it during the day too? Will I increase/decrease my chances of algae if I cover it? (After Googling, some say algae likes to grow on it, some say it keeps the sun out so decreases algae bloom...) What's the School of Thought on covers?

Thanks!
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you cover your pool during the day?

Assuming the cover is opaque to sunlight, then it will reduce how much chlorine you lose to the sun during the day. One downside is that CC can build up if you do not give you pool some sunlight, since the sun also effectively breaks down CC. If you start noticing the "chlorine smell" then maybe leave you cover off more.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Correct, it's opaque to sunlight. Gosh, that's tricky... I guess I'll leave it off during the day and see how that goes.
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are maintaining your water correctly, you have little risk of algae growing on it.

That being said, I rarely cover mine.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Good to know, Techguy! Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Cover on during the day also means less evaporation.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Haley, my recommendation is to leave that cover on when not using the pool. That cover will help keep **** out of your pool and not plug those cheap Intex filters. Additionally, as noted before, leaving the cover will stop the chlorine from being burn off, meaning less need for bleach and more money in your pocket.

I have never had and infection in my Intex pool that I didn't start to see happen first by testing. Proper chlorine levels will keep any infection at bay. This year I have dumped the salt water thing and gone strickly bleach. Honestly 5-7 minutes a day to test and dump some Clorox and my pool looks the best ever. I do keep my cover on when the pool is not being used period. My filters last forever and pool satisfaction is at a all time high here. And yes I have trees all around me......if you do to....keep it covered.

Bob E.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you so much, Smykowski and Safetybob! It seems the benefits outweigh the negatives. I do test everyday, so I'll be able to see if anything bad is going down with my water.