Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall whale

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Wall whale

I bought the Wall Whale from Leslie's and I really like it. It's a nylon-bristle brush with a "fin" or "spoiler" that uses the force of the water to press the brush to the pool wall. It's a standard-size brush (18" or 21", not sure) that attaches to a telescoping pool pole. The fin can be removed and attached to a new brush when the original one wears out.

It's a little awkward to work with at first, but it's really great once you get used to it! Makes it a lot easier to give the pool walls a thorough brushing.

Jules
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

2. Back To Top    #2

Thanks! I know just what you are talking about. I saw them the other day and was wondering whether it would be worth it.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I think it's well worth the price, especially if one needs a new brush, which I did.

Happy brushing

Jules
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

4. Back To Top    #4
    I give the wall whale a big thumbs up
    I hated briushing my last pool with the regular brush - always had difficulties trying to get the technique just right. This time, I purchased teh wall whale and it is a snap to get the pool brushed. I am short and always had to place my weight on the reg brush, not with the wall wale, it does half the work for you.
    Thank you again for comments on this product - never would have given it a second look if I saw it at the pool store. Veery happy with my purchase and highly recommend to others in need of a brush!
    1980's Shasta built 30,000 gal inground diving pool. Pebble-tec interior. Pentair DE Filter. In ground pop-ups. Hayward Navigator sweeper.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by From_Arizona
    Thank you again for comments on this product - never would have given it a second look if I saw it at the pool store. Veery happy with my purchase and highly recommend to others in need of a brush!
    Glad I could provide some helpful info. As a follow-up, I have the comment that the brush it comes with is not extremely high quality, but you can replace the brush with any standard 18" pool brush.

Since I am new to pool ownership (<1 year), I'm not entirely sure what the usual life span of a nylon pool brush should be. I thought it ought to be more than one season, tho. The brush on my "Wall Whale" is not at the end of its life, but it does show noticeable wear.
    ~Jules~

Taylor K-2006 test

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, so much for that invention...

It seems I'm often coming up with ideas for what I think are new things that turn out to already exist. This is one of them. I'm going to have to get one of these as brushing the usual way is putting strain on my bad back.
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7
    Here's another happy wall whaler! Thanks for your input guys. I bought this solely because of how good y'all said this worked (well, It was on sale for 19.99 too). It is so much easier to brush the walls now (even with one hand) and it is easier to apply more pressure while your brushing the floor.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8
    I've got to give this whale brush a try. My new plaster wore out my nylon brush. I bought a 50/50 brush (.5 stailess steel, .5 nylon) and there is a huge difference. My new brush does not need that much pressure, but on the deep end I have to apply some pressure when I get to the bottom or it will come off the wall. Do you guys have this issue with the Whale brush?
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JCJR
    I've got to give this whale brush a try. My new plaster wore out my nylon brush. I bought a 50/50 brush (.5 stailess steel, .5 nylon) and there is a huge difference. My new brush does not need that much pressure, but on the deep end I have to apply some pressure when I get to the bottom or it will come off the wall. Do you guys have this issue with the Whale brush?
    No, as long as there is forward (downward) motion of the brush, the fin on the whale provides pressure against the surface you are brushing.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

OMG....just bought this morning. WOW! I am so impressed. I have back issues so I typically can not get 1/2 around pool with out back hurting. I did the whole pool (walls only) in under 10m - not a single back complaint and I did not even break a sweat. This thing is awsome!!!!
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

11. Back To Top    #11
    Sean B,
    Looks like TFP might need a kick-back from Wall Whale, Inc. (or whoever) .
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

has anyone tried the "Brush Booster" ?

similar to the wall whale...

here's a link to a place that carries them - http://www.poolsaz.com/ProductDetails.a ... tCode=4868
    Using BBB successfully for over 5 years!

16x32 vinyl grecian, Hayward EC65, 1hp super pump, Clear solar cover, Loop-lok winter cover, "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel suction cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13
    I had to post my own thumbs up for the Wall Whale. After reading this thread and a couple others like it, I ordered one for myself from PoolGeek.com (using my TFP discount of course!)

It works great and makes brushing the walls a much easier task. Even my 9 year sold can do it with ease.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

14. Back To Top    #14

Not long after we bought this house (with our first pool!) my wife came home from the pool store with a Wall Whale. Our deep end is 9 feet and those tall walls were a real bear to scrub down with a standard brush. The Wall Whale does all of the "press firmly against the side" work and all I have to do is push the pole downward. It's an awesome idea.

It also moves a LOT of water when you use it, so it does a fantastic job of mixing chemicals into the water. 8)
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

15. Back To Top    #15

Re: Wall whale

Another 2 thumbs up! Brushing is one job I have always hated, so on all the recommendations here, I picked one up the other day. I just tried it out for the first time this morning and I am amazed at how well it works. Gotta love ingenious minds who think this stuff up........just wish mine was one of them.
    22,000gal IG, Lazy L, vinyl pool - 1.0 HP Pentair Whisterflo - DE filter - Blue Pearl Robotic cleaner - Glowbuoy - BBB only!

16. Back To Top    #16

well, I bought the "Brush Booster" and it works very well...so i'm a happy camper!
    Using BBB successfully for over 5 years!

16x32 vinyl grecian, Hayward EC65, 1hp super pump, Clear solar cover, Loop-lok winter cover, "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel suction cleaner

17. Back To Top    #17

Got Wall Whale over the weekend, and two more thumbs up from me. Ticks me off that I didn't think of it first.

Only downside is the brush is 3" narrower than my old one. I may swap the whale over to the other brush.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

18. Back To Top    #18

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    I had to post my own thumbs up for the Wall Whale. After reading this thread and a couple others like it, I ordered one for myself from PoolGeek.com (using my TFP discount of course!)

How does one go about getting a discount at these places for being a TFP member?
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: Re:

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB

How does one go about getting a discount at these places for being a TFP member?

See here: supporters-only-specials-f30.html
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

20. Back To Top    #20

It seems unanimous. The wall whale is excellent, on occasion I still see myself habitually muscling the poleā€¦..some habits are hard to break.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast