Heater recommendation?

Apr 9, 2013
We're going to put a heater in next year. 24' AGP, 13,300 gallons, Chicago.

I don't have the room or desire for solar. I'm pretty much set on a natural gas unit. Any suggestions on a brand and btu size?

Thanks in advance!

I second the 400k. Some will tell you it is overkill but in Chicago you may want to swim those last days in the fall and not have to heat your pool for days. My sister has a 333k and she can heat 10 degrees in a day in the fall. Mine is a 266 and we can barely maintain the overnight loss let alone raise the temp.

+1 for the 400K BTU. It will take so many BTU's to heat a given amount of water to a target temperature. I would rather get there sooner rather than later. As the kids on the AT&T commercials say, "Faster is better". :mrgreen:

As for brands, the inspector who inspected our house commented that the Teledyne Laars heater we have is built like a tank. Mine's 20 years old and still works great. Don't know if this "built like a tank" comment applies to the current Teledyne Laars heaters but if I were in the market I would start there based on the longevity of my current heater.

just my two cents..but I live further north than you....(Wisconsin) I have a 33 ft Diam AGP..and have a Hayward H200 on the pool, and it does just fine during the colder parts of the season. I do close my pool in late September, BUT I never have any issue maintaining nice swimming temps with my setup.

If a bigger heater will allow you to heat up the pool in (say) 12 hours instead of 24, so you can turn it on Friday night to get ready for the weekend instead of turning it on Friday morning, then you will save money because the pool will be rejecting heat to the environment for less time. Just like saving money bu turning off the A/C when you aren't home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.