Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA and CH questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

TA and CH questions...

Hi all,

3rd day of new fill and looking pretty good on my numbers:

FC: 5.5
    PH: 7.5 (ever so slightly increasing the last three days)
    TA: 160 (fluctuates up and down the last 3 days, not by much)
    CH: 120 (slowly declining by increments of 20 the last 3 days)
    CYA: 35
    CC: 0

I'm just tweaking and adjusting where needed, but I don't really know what to put in the Pool Calculator for my "goal" for TA and CH (or do I just use the Pool Calc's goal number?) When I read Pool School and the ABC's (for vinyl pools), TA and CH has such a large range of numbers.

What am I really shooting for with TA and CH? For instance, it says for TA, "60-120, sometimes higher." How high is too high, because I'm at 160?

For CH, it says, "50-300." Right in the middle should be pretty good then, right?

Thanks for any input!
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA and CH questions...

Ignore CH since you have vinyl (actually very high CH values can cause clouding in any pool...but that is much higher >500 ppm).

Your TA is a little high, but I would let it come down naturally by lower ph down to 7.2 whenever it gets up to 7.8. Doing this will also slowly lower your TA.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Excellent, thank you. I saw in ABC's that there's no need for calcium in my vinyl pool. How often should I test for that since it's only of real concern when it gets too high? Once a week? Once every two weeks?

I'll do what you said; when my PH gets to 7.8, I'll lower it (via Pool Calculator's recommendations) and see it lower my TA as well. Awesome!

Thank you!!!!
    Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

4. Back To Top    #4

I rarely test mine, and it's important for my pool to have it. Once a month maybe. Unless I have a leak, my CH stays steady, so I already know where it's going to be.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I test my CH once a year...and my pool is relatively high (~400 ppm)
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I keep getting a leak around the tile line under my diving board. I haven't checked mine since we fixed it at the beginning of the year and I got it all back in balance.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

is CH the blue capped bottles in my test kit? if so I havn't used them yet.
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, interesting! Thanks so much, Robbie and Linen!

Topher, if you have a Taylor kit, yes, the blue capped bottles are for testing the CH.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by topher
    Not sure about blue capped, but one of the reagents is blue.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by topher
    Not sure about blue capped, but one of the reagents is blue.
    yes its a a taylor, and all three off em are blue was saying how much I test err.. dont test CH...
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)