Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How strong are Intex walls?

1. Back To Top    #1

How strong are Intex walls?

Growing up we had an above ground pool with steel walls. Us kids always pushed off the wall to go from side to side. We are looking at an Intex 16 X 48 Ultra frame pool which of course only has the liner. If my kids (10 and 8)kick off the sides, will the pool handle it? Are they pretty tough?
    Thanks!!
    Rob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How strong are Intex walls?

Welcome to tfp, flash828

They are pretty tough, but I would not let the kids push off since that can put a lot of localized stress on the joints the intex has.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

My kids do it all the time even though I tell them not too. They are 11 and 8 and it doesnt seem to bother the pool,but I dont like it at all. As linen stated it could bend a joint if done in just the right spot with enough force.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Pushing off the walls is OK, IMO. Just not the legs. I have dogs that swim with us and the walls are plenty tough to withstand their nails.

John
    Intex 22 x 52 Ultra frame, 10,400 gals
    Intex 2600 gl/hr sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Not sure about ultra frame but the bliw up rings are very tough. I jumped the wall and slid in mine all the time. Putting my 300lb frome on the wall never showed sign if weakening. Now the wife with mower is another story.

13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Pentair Sanddollar SD-80 75GPM filter, Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner
    (20'x30" solar heater to be installed)

6. Back To Top    #6

I've pushed off the wall a number of times and it seemed fine. As gd5015 suggested... avoid the frame itself, I have no concrete reason because it's probably fine, but it just feels wrong.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

7. Back To Top    #7

We have a pro series with the metal legs and pretty much all of us push off of the sides all the time (I'm not a small guy). We love to play pool games (Marco polo, sharks and minnows, etc.) and we are not very gentle on the walls. We've had the current pool for three years and it's still going strong!
    I think the roughest thing we do to the pool is a wave pool. A couple of us get in the middle and move up and down and the water pushes out to the walls then back to the middle. When it comes back to the middle it's a foot and a half higher than the pool walls and then rocks back out to the sides. We do it when the water gets too warm and top it off to cool it back down.
    We put the pool through it's paces and it takes it.
    6.7K Pro Series 18x48, VL40T32 pump/filter, Hayward skimmer, TF100, and BBB!

8. Back To Top    #8

I do the wave pool too.

I don't bounce in the middle. I grab a floaty and rest my forearms on it, stand about 2 feet from the side facing the side, tilt the floaty about 45 degrees and start bouncing, adjusting to match the rhythm of the pool.

Wait... somehow that turned out sounding dirty.

Anyway, it's fun and the pool frame doesn't seem to mind.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks everyone! Just waiting for this rain to stop (going on 10days). Looking for them to go on clearance any day....

10. Back To Top    #10

Then today sounds like a great day to level the site! Just kidding!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100