Guesstimate manual chlorine needed til part arrives Monday

vanessadickson

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Paris, Kentucky
SWG failure, Going to to buy a bunch of chlorine to manually do the pool until my SWG part arrives Monday (boo, Hayward current limiter blew). Can anyone guesstimate how many gallons 10% chlorine would hold me until Monday? Crystal pool went slightly cloudy yesterday, alerting me to problem. Chlorine was 0, Pool calc. said 2 gallons would give me a 3 in chlorine, and it did. Just trying to anticipate how much I need to buy to hold at least 3 until Monday. Its cloudy and raining all weekend here in KY (thankfully, for my pool). Heres my numbers:

Alkalinity: 80
Cal: 230
CYA: 65
Chlor: 3
pH :7.5

Re: Guesstimate manual chlorine needed til part arrives Mond

I recommend maintaining FC at 5 to 7 until the SWG is fixed. That should take less than 2 ppm of chlorine a day (on average), a little extra to get up to that level the first time.

Vanessa,
2 points so make here:

At CYA of 65, your minimum FC level should be 5, not 3. For your pool, 3 quarts (96 oz.) of 10% chlorine will raise it the 2 points.
If you want to go to a safer FC of 7, then 6 quarts would be required.
Thereafter, based on 2ppm loss per day average, approximately 3 quarts daily.

But, due to cloudiness, be prepared, you may need to shock to FC 19, and that would require a 6 gallon dose to start.

Good luck, Vanessa!

Thanks guys! Helpful info, as always.
Now I know how the "other half" (ie: non-SWG) lives. Not fun.
Will bump it up and try to keep it at 5. Cloudiness seems to be clearing, so hopefully will be OK until I delve into the wondful world of soldering when my part gets here.

Personally, I would head off the cloudiness. Since the FC went to 0, I would take the FC up to shock level and verify that nothing is in the water by performing the OCLT.

New problem--pool is back to sparkling at a 3 chlorine, so went with original plan and just was going to bump up to 5 and hold til Monday when part comes in. Daughter was nice enough to pick up some chlorine for me from town, so I threw in a gallon to bring up to 5.

Here's the problem, didn't notice until AFTER put in the gallon, but the chlorine she got is that AquaChem that says its "conditioned". Aw durn, does that mean Ive got to watch the CYA like a hawk as I add chlorine all weekend to keep it to a 5? How much does a gallon of the stuff have in it?

Here is an image of the bottle. the contents look right, but it was that word "balanced" and "available chlorine" versus "%chlorine" on the bottle that made me question the CYI issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 39

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Online research says AquaChem Liquid Chlorinizor is 10% chlorine. The other 90% is water. Is sold under many labels, since 1979, made and distributed by Bio-Lab, Inc.
It seems to have no other additives, just Sodium Hypochlorite and Water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.