Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Guesstimate manual chlorine needed til part arrives Monday

1. Back To Top    #1

Guesstimate manual chlorine needed til part arrives Monday

SWG failure, Going to to buy a bunch of chlorine to manually do the pool until my SWG part arrives Monday (boo, Hayward current limiter blew). Can anyone guesstimate how many gallons 10% chlorine would hold me until Monday? Crystal pool went slightly cloudy yesterday, alerting me to problem. Chlorine was 0, Pool calc. said 2 gallons would give me a 3 in chlorine, and it did. Just trying to anticipate how much I need to buy to hold at least 3 until Monday. Its cloudy and raining all weekend here in KY (thankfully, for my pool). Heres my numbers:

Alkalinity: 80
    Cal: 230
    CYA: 65
    Chlor: 3
    pH :7.5
    38,900 gal., UG, vinyl, SWG, Hayward w/T-15, 1.0HP pump, sand filter, Aquabot Turbo-T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Guesstimate manual chlorine needed til part arrives Mond

I recommend maintaining FC at 5 to 7 until the SWG is fixed. That should take less than 2 ppm of chlorine a day (on average), a little extra to get up to that level the first time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Vanessa,
    2 points so make here:

At CYA of 65, your minimum FC level should be 5, not 3. For your pool, 3 quarts (96 oz.) of 10% chlorine will raise it the 2 points.
    If you want to go to a safer FC of 7, then 6 quarts would be required.
    Thereafter, based on 2ppm loss per day average, approximately 3 quarts daily.

But, due to cloudiness, be prepared, you may need to shock to FC 19, and that would require a 6 gallon dose to start.

Good luck, Vanessa!
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

4. Back To Top    #4

alanpaul, it is 3 when using a SWG. It is 5 now that the SWG is not working.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! Helpful info, as always.
    Now I know how the "other half" (ie: non-SWG) lives. Not fun.
    Will bump it up and try to keep it at 5. Cloudiness seems to be clearing, so hopefully will be OK until I delve into the wondful world of soldering when my part gets here.
    38,900 gal., UG, vinyl, SWG, Hayward w/T-15, 1.0HP pump, sand filter, Aquabot Turbo-T

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally, I would head off the cloudiness. Since the FC went to 0, I would take the FC up to shock level and verify that nothing is in the water by performing the OCLT.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Good idea, Jason. Since its too wet for much else this weekend, Ill give it a go.

8. Back To Top    #8

New problem--pool is back to sparkling at a 3 chlorine, so went with original plan and just was going to bump up to 5 and hold til Monday when part comes in. Daughter was nice enough to pick up some chlorine for me from town, so I threw in a gallon to bring up to 5.

Here's the problem, didn't notice until AFTER put in the gallon, but the chlorine she got is that AquaChem that says its "conditioned". Aw durn, does that mean Ive got to watch the CYA like a hawk as I add chlorine all weekend to keep it to a 5? How much does a gallon of the stuff have in it?

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you get any info off the bottle to share? Contents? I could not find that stuff with a quick search.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is an image of the bottle. the contents look right, but it was that word "balanced" and "available chlorine" versus "%chlorine" on the bottle that made me question the CYI issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Online research says AquaChem Liquid Chlorinizor is 10% chlorine. The other 90% is water. Is sold under many labels, since 1979, made and distributed by Bio-Lab, Inc.
    It seems to have no other additives, just Sodium Hypochlorite and Water.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!