Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand does not have to be replaced?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand does not have to be replaced?

Just read the post on rinsing sand and was wondering how and where does the garden hose water go? If I do this cleaning do I need to set the cap dial to backwash and then the hose water will exit that way? Or am I suppose to remove the drain cap at the bottom of the sand tank?

A service tech who was at my house recently (assesing a slipping liner) told me sand should be replaced periodically. But I have no clear answer as to when I know it is time. So just to confirm, sand does not have to be replaced? If so, how would I know?

16' x 32' IG, vinyl, 80k litre (21k gal), "lazy L" (kidney like at deep, squared off at shallow) shallow 3', deep 8', Hayward sand filter 300 lbs, 20gal/min Mod S-244T, Pentair Superflow VS 1.5 HP Model 342001, Raypak Heater 266K BTU Mod P-R266A-EN-C, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, diving board, Southern Ontario (Canada) climate.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often to change sand in sand filter

I replaced my sand last year because my filter broke (broken laterals). Other than that reason, I would not have replaced it. It was installed in 89.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sand does not have to be replaced?

When rinsing sand, the water simply overflows out of the filter and onto the ground. Do not remove the drain plug when doing this. You want the overflow to go up, not down.

It is a common misconception in the pool industry that replacing sand is a good idea. I guess it is for the people who sell you sand or get hired to do the work for you.

The only time you need to replace sand is when it has become clumped so badly that you can not break the clumps up by hand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So that water overflows out the same place where back washing goes?

Thanks so much, what an awesome forum
    16' x 32' IG, vinyl, 80k litre (21k gal), "lazy L" (kidney like at deep, squared off at shallow) shallow 3', deep 8', Hayward sand filter 300 lbs, 20gal/min Mod S-244T, Pentair Superflow VS 1.5 HP Model 342001, Raypak Heater 266K BTU Mod P-R266A-EN-C, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, diving board, Southern Ontario (Canada) climate.

5. Back To Top    #5

No, the multiport valve is removed (or the top cap opened for sand filters with side valves) for this process and the water and crude just overflows out of the open top.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ahhhh, I get it. DOH!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by shane4
    Ahhhh, I get it. DOH!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!