Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The light odor of chlorine surprised me

1. Back To Top    #1

The light odor of chlorine surprised me

- July 4 -
    I chlorinated this morning, to FC of about 6.8. My CYA is in the 50-60 range. The pool is very clear.

Later, following use, vacuuming, and brushing (we do have a few rough patches that tend to acquire a little algae) and clouding up the pool with the deteriorating paint, I chlorinated again.

Brought the pool up to FC of 9 at 4:00pm. Don't know why. It just felt like the right thing to do.

The pump and filter have been running since 10:00am.

At midnight, the light odor of chlorine surprised me. It's been 8 hours since I added the extra chlorine.

My first thought was, "I hope I haven't got an algae bloom on the way."
    The air outside is hardly moving, and the odor is not that sick-chlorine odor I remember from my youth. Just a light smell of bleach.

Then I thought, "If I had an algae battle going on, the chlorine odor would have dissipated more due to consumption in 8 hours, I think."

I haven't shocked the pool in years, and really don't remember the smell of even slightly elevated chlorine levels.

I'm sure I will find out when I test in the morning! Wish me luck!
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slight Chlorine smell with 0 CC's , is it possible ?

Yeah, I think your situation is similar in that a somewhat higher FC/CYA level is having you smell a little more outgassing of chlorine. When the FC/CYA level drops closer to the minimum, you may notice the smell decreasing and be barely noticeable, if at all.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Yeah, I think your situation is similar in that a somewhat higher FC/CYA level is having you smell a little more outgassing of chlorine. When the FC/CYA level drops closer to the minimum, you may notice the smell decreasing and be barely noticeable, if at all.
    Thanks for your supportive words, ChemGeek. Yes, you surmised correctly.
    I am pleased to not have an algae problem. Plus, I get to take a day off from adding chlorine, according to this morning's test. Have a happy 5th of July, all.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by roadking00
    Thanks for everyone's replies, I'll continue to monitor and occasionally ask the wife for the sniff test of the pool area
    Send her up this way. I'm looking for a rabbit dog with a good nose!!
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

She may simply have an extra sensitive sniffer, like my wife - she can detect a natural gas leak in an all-electric house. I'm sure your pool is fine.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.