Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turn SWG off while shocking?

1. Back To Top    #1

Turn SWG off while shocking?

I'm new (one month) to SWG's. I saw it in one of the discussions that you should turn the SWG off while in shocking process. If so, for how long? With all this rain that we've been having in the southeast, the algae caught up and I'm trying to supershock the pool back to health, but it can't overcome it at this point yet (shocked 2 days in a row already) and only turned off the SWG at night for about 7 hours.

Thanks to everyone on this awesome forum!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turn SWG off while shocking?

Yes, turn the SWG off while following the shock PROCESS.

As you are new here, I have to ask. Have you ordered your test kit? If yes,
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Test results after shocking last night (from aquachek test strip and I can't tell the slight differences in tints from the drop tests):
    TH 250
    CC 10 was highest strip will go
    FC 10 was highest strip will go
    pH 7.8
    TA 120
    CYA 100

It's been 8 hours and I just turned SWG back on.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your results tell the story of why we advocate buying a good test kit. With the FAS-DPD chlorine test, you don't "match colors", and you know exactly what your FC and CC levels are.

Your CYA is also high, which leads you to the algae problem. A CYA reading of 100 commonly means you are higher than that. What are you chlorinating your pool with, normally? And what is in the "shock" product you are using? If it is dichloroisocyanurate, you are adding to the CYA problem. You will need to drain your pool by 1/3 at least once, and test with a liquid black dot test. See Pool School for more information.

Per test kit: Check here for what we mean. You can buy from there, or check Amazon for the Taylor K-2006. Best bang for the buck is through Tftestkits.net, with the TF-100, and XL option.

Another thing about test strips. They are very inaccurate. Reason this is so, is the reagents on the strips go bad fairly quickly. Quite often the strips are outdated even while sitting on the store shelves.

If you want a clear, clean pool, you need to read Pool School, and learn the how as well as the why of the system of pool care we advocate. It works.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Your link to the test kits didn't work. You can find the test kits and shock process linked to in my signature.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

fixed, thanks.