First off thanks in advance for any help with this issue as I am completely new to pool maintenance and ownership. With that said, I am also far from helpless and certainly know my way around the internet and a toolbox. Hopefully I can provide enough information here that someone can point me in the right direction when it comes to getting this problem solved.
We recently moved into a home in Phoenix, AZ who's previous owners had no clue when it came to pool maintenance. The automatic water leveler was shut off, the filters were beyond dirty (starting pressure was near 40psi and the filter cartridges were nearly black) and the water was quickly approaching green. I cleaned the filters, lubed all the O-Rings (filter and pump housing), scrubbed & shocked the pool and brought the pH back to normal. The water is now clear and swimmable. I set the aqualink control panel to turn the pump on for 6 hours every night from 10pm to 4am. I keep 4-6 chlorine tablets in a floater at all times.
General Pool Information:
- Pool is approximately 16,500 gallons and free form shaped.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
- Pool has a spa attached to it that is plumbed into the pool itself, both used to be heated. The heater (broken) was bypassed and new plumbing was installed that did not include the heater.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
- There is a water feature and aerator included in the piping. The water feature does not work as far as I can tell and is turned off via valves. The aerator does work but is off.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
Pump Model: A.O. Smith Corp SQ1202 2.6hp
Filter Model: Pentair Clean & Clear Plus CCP520 (cartridge filter)
- The pressure on the filter reads ~10 psi upon starting and stays there or gradually gets to about ~15psi over time. From what I understand, this is too low.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
- The Kreepy Krauly automatic vacuum usually works but the suction seems poor and it doesn't move very fast. After it's been on for a little while it tends to get weaker. About 2 weeks after the filters have been cleaned the vacuum is nearly immobile until I clean them again. No noticeable change in filter pressure.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
- There are a LOT of bubbles coming out of the return jets whenever the pump is turned on after being off for a few hours. After it runs for a while there are still some bubbles coming out of the returns.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
- One return barely works at all (farthest from the pump) and when it does it's mostly bubbles.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
- The skimmers have fairly poor suction, they don't pull debris into the basket much and there's no visible swirling.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
- There is a small leak at the PVC joint where the water comes out of the pump housing and to the filter; This seems to be past the suction side so I am not sure if air is still getting in here.[/*:m:13yq2hq6]
When I took the pump apart to lube rings and make sure the impeller didn't have anything stuck in it, I noticed there were small cracks or what appear to be slits caused by chafing in the plastic housing that goes around the impeller. Here is a picture:
I also made a quick video to give a decent visual overview of our setup:
Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to make sure I covered as much information as I could. Please let me know if there's anything I missed!