Another pool mod, sort of.

Charlie_R

TFP Expert
May 8, 2013
Mexico, MO
Here's what I threw together today, and why.

Wife was complaining that the original "ladder" that came with the pool was too narrow and didn't feel sturdy. I agreed. She's right.

So since I had the time and $$ in the same place at the same time (believe me, that is actually a rare event!), I built this today:

Daughter got up on it before I had steps or ladder attached, and was dancing around on it. Very sturdy, she says.

The half of the original ladder is only temporary, as is the decking, for the next rare event of time and $$.

Decking will be replaced with normal PT wood, when I build the next section.

Plan is to build a set of steps that are on a hinge arrangement out of composite lumber with stainless fasteners, so it can be removed from the pool when I close it for the winter.

The deck itself will grow, slowly, to encompass about 1/3 of the pool. It will be build in sections so I can remove them when needed.

Rails will be made along with the next section.

None will be permanently set in concrete, as we are planning to eventually upsize to maybe an 18'. I doubt we would be able to go any larger than that, too small a yard.

Thank you all for the kind comments!

This is what happens when you have more time than $$, and a background in the construction trades.

As I said in another thread, "If I don't know something, I find someone who does". It used to be the local library, now why take the trip? The internet has almost all of what you need to learn to take care of the task at hand.

Another reason for :lovetfp: !!

Is there a clock smiley somewhere?

Wow, Ive been looking for a way to get my mother in law in the pool to cool down. I was going to build a bigger deck around the pool but funds arent there for that. but this looks like something that would work and with some railing and ballisters it would be safe for the ol' girl to climb up.

I like your idea of removable sections as I cant build a permanent structure without permits. Going out to round up some lumber and hardware will post pics of it when Im done. If my kids let me finish it today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, have another section of the deck done.

Here's what I've got:

I've cut it so the decking hangs over the edge of the pool by a couple of inches. Good place to sit with your feet dangling in the water. Deck isn't quite wide enough for a chaise, but a couple of chairs should fit.

Wife suggested I move the ladder to the end of the new section, so I'll be doing that along with adding the railing.

One more section is all she wants, that one will go on the other end next to where the ladder is now.

In the middle of all this, I'm trying to get my mess cleaned up, and hard plumbing the pool. Still have to move the rest of the dirt and clay I dug out for the pool. Little by little, it's getting done.

I did something very similar, we needed something better than the ladder but didn't have the funds this year for full deck.

I used the ladder for the steps up the deck and the other half was bolted to the deck to get in and out of the pool. It's amazing how much sturdier the cheap ladder is when bolted to a strong surface. The kids absolutely love it, they constantly are up and down it running and jumping in. [attachment=0:26zxdlk1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675143.349055.jpg[/attachment:26zxdlk1]
Only pick I have they were actually using it as their duck blind to hunt ducks.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675143.349055.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375675143.349055.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 278
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.