Extremely cloudy pool and floc didn't help

Started working on pool 3 weeks ago; in the begining it was dark green and was filled with leaves, algae, frogs..... you name it! Well after adjusting numbers, shocking, scooping leaves, running filter 24/7, dumping in cooper algeacide for what I beleived to be mustard algae; the pool is now milky white with a slight blue color. Yesterday I got so frustrated and put 4.5 oz of sink and sweep, circulated for 2 hour then let pool sit for 24 hours and nothing happened. Still extremely cloudy. My question is when can I turn the pump back on and try shocking again? Im afraid to turn it on with that floc in the water since the label says dont vacuum the stuff through filter. Also any suggestions to what can get rid of the cloudiness? Btw I have 15x48 intex easy set pool with a surfsce skimmer and 1200 gph intex sand filter. Current numbers: TC 10 FC 20 Ph 7.2 TA 120 CYA 30 thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

You might want to wait a little longer. Once in a while floc takes some extra time to settle. In any case, vacuum anything on the bottom to waste as much as possible before running the pump for any other reason. Getting floc in your filter can cause serious problems (sometimes). This may be difficult if you can't see the bottom, but do the best you can.

Then, let the FC level come down to something below 10, test the PH again, and adjust as needed.

Do you know your CH level?

Thanks for the welcome. CH? The test strips I have only show the numbers I posted. Will give the floc another day then turn on pump for 4 hours , let chlorine level come down and let the pool store check the levels. Im worried that with the pool not circulating that the algae will come back again.!!!! I should have listened and not added that stuff... :( thanks

Getting a top quality and complete test kit could easily be the best investment you ever make in your pool. Test strips are not reliable.

The cloudiness could be from the algae, but it could also be caused by high CH levels. Knowing your CH level would help narrow things down.

I second Jason :) I listened to these guys back a couple seasons ago and even though Im still a pool noob the kit has helped me a lot and saved a lot of trouble driving back and forth between pool shops to read my water (which they read wrong anyhow). That, plus I noticed people here are very reluctant to help anyone withouth a good testkit and good results :p

RafaelSvr said:
I second Jason :) I listened to these guys back a couple seasons ago and even though Im still a pool noob the kit has helped me a lot and saved a lot of trouble driving back and forth between pool shops to read my water (which they read wrong anyhow). That, plus I noticed people here are very reluctant to help anyone withouth a good testkit and good results

:p

It's not that anyone is reluctant to help, it's that without dependable test results, it's hard to tell what is the problem. With out a diagnosis it's hard to recommend a course of treatment.

We all want to help but the major issue is that we make recommendations based on test results. If the test results are incorrect (wrong) the recommendations are wrong. The issue with local pool store (LPS) testing is they are frequently the worst at proving accurate test results.

Recommendations based on what you see or feel is wrong with the pool also make for poor results.

The tests we typically use here are easy and accurate. The challenge is you need to do your own testing with you own kit to make your own decisions. This learning process is helped by posting here to see what you need to do to fix the actual problems in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.