Liner(maybe) too tight--Advice Please!!!

Jun 19, 2012
Hi everyone!

Well, we installed the liner this afternoon. We attempted to vacuum the liner into place but we could never get a good seal. So, we decided to start adding water anyway b/c our efforts were fruitless. Well, we got about 4 inches of water in the pool and it looks like the liner is too tight(deep end) already... :cry: There currently is 3-4 inches b/w the liner and the pool wall. Now, maybe this is what normally happens--we just don't know as this is our first DIY.

Could someone please advise us as to what to do?! Or maybe it's okay and we should keep filling?! Remove the water and try the vacuuming again?? We just don't know what to do and are at a standstill.

Thank you for your input!!!

Attachments

• photo(47).JPG
    photo(47).JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 179
  • photo(48).JPG
    photo(48).JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 179
That doesn't look good. If the liner pulls away from corners a little when empty that is fine. But if I am reading that picture correctly, which looks like a liner that has pulled away by more than a foot over a large area, then you are going to have a problem. My guess is that the liner was sized for a slightly shallower deep end, and is too small for this pool.

Liners have some stretch, they can stretch several inches, especially if you do the install on a nice warm sunny day. But there is only so far it can go without tearing.

Now, I might be misinterpreting the photo. I am imagining that there are vertical walls around the upper wall of the deep end, then a small shelf, then sloped walls going down to the bottom of the deep end. And what I see is a liner that is sloped from the bottom of the deep end right up to the top of the wall. If that isn't what is going on, then I could be wrong.

You are partially correct with the photo! There are vertical walls--then NO shelf but a steep slope to the deep end floor.

I really hope our deep end isn't too deep. I'm guessing we would have to purchase a new liner and we just can't afford that right now. :(

Then that isn't nearly as bad as I thought. That means the pull out isn't nearly as far. Also, a shelf makes things much worse, as it concentrates the stretch in one area. Without a shelf the stretch is far more spread out and not nearly as bad.

Given that, it might be fine. You are still at some mild risk for the ripples turning into creases, but that doesn't seem likely and isn't nearly as bad a problem. It may be that you need more suction to get it to form to the walls better.

if you have a good seal that liner should all but be in place while filling and leave the vacum on while filling at least till water get to the shallow end. did you tape your joints and cover the steps?

If I see it correctly, you have a beaded liner with defined wall heights (the seam near the wall base). Is this an "expandable" liner designed for the "deep" end, a custom liner build for the deep area, or a liner designed for a flat floor pool? IIRC only the only expandable liners (deep end capable) are over lap liners but this is using AG terminology/knowledge.

I could be completely wrong as my knowledge is based on my AG pool.

Did you measure for the liner or did you get a "standard" size based on dig specs? The dig can be off so its best to measure. My personal opinion is you NEED to get the vacuum to work. I used the cyclone one and it pulled in tight, literally looked like it painted on it was such a nice fit. We measured for ours though. I can certain if you feel it with those cupped wrinkles you will end up with lots of wrinkles/creases. Again, the vacuum is the most critical piece of the liner install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.