Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA is 350

1. Back To Top    #1

TA is 350

I set up my pool, filled it with softened well water and shocked it to 10 with Clorox (late afternoon) and I added the 200 lbs of salt. At the end of the next day I shocked it again to 10 and got my SWG installed and running at 7 hours. I am now in the process of dissolving 64oz of cya to bring my cya level up to 55 initially and will bring it up to about 75 in a couple weeks.

My initial test (hth 6 way)

FC 0 (the initial shock burned off)
    PH 8.4 (MA added to reduce ph to 7.6)
    TA 350
    TH 50 (total hardness according to the hth 6 way kit)
    CYA 0
    Salt 3300

From what I've been reading about TA, I need to lower the PH to 7.0-7.2 and fabricate a way to aerate the water to lower the TA. Is this plan correct? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dustin
    Intex 12'x24'x52" vinyl 8400 gallons
    1600 GPH sand filter
    Krystal clear SWG
    Well Water
    Central Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA is 350

could be wrong but I thought aerating raised the ph
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

3. Back To Top    #3

Adding acid to lower the pH also lowers the TA. Aerating the water raises pH without raising TA. You keep your lowering pH whenever it needs it with acid and that lowers the TA over time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How long do you figure this will take from 350 to 80?
    1600 GPH sand filter
    Krystal clear SWG
    Well Water
    Central Texas

5. Back To Top    #5

aerating does raise ph AFTER you lower it and TA. You lower PH and it will also lower the TA.

You can turn your return so that it "rolls" the water at the top. You can even go so far is to let it it come up out of the water a little.

You can also buy something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Splash-Pools-3070 ... +sprinkler

Just make sure to get the correct size of threads for you pool.

I just rotate it into the pool when I do not want to cool the water or raise the PH.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

My nozzle is pointing up and is roughing the water good but isn't breaking surface. Maybe I'll just build a PVC adapter to screw into it.

Do you think this will take several weeks of continuous aerating/acid cycles?

And are you saying that aerating will cool the water? We currently have upper 90's temp and my water is very cold from the well.
    1600 GPH sand filter
    Krystal clear SWG
    Well Water
    Central Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

With your low calcium hardness, you're not at much risk for scaling. Just keep the pH between7.2 and 7.5 and you'll be fine.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the info everyone.
    1600 GPH sand filter
    Krystal clear SWG
    Well Water
    Central Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

waterfall can/will lower the temp. of the water. I am not sure how much. I like it warmer so do not do it often. My husband likes it cooler so IF he thinks about it he will make it "rainbow".

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

It can take weeks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Great read. thanks for everyone chimeing in and teaching me!!! TFP is really awesome
    26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.
    Pool Math #__# Pool School #__# Best Android App "Pool Pal" Track Your Levels!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It can take weeks.
    and weeks....

I have a similar pool and aerating isn't easy as it would be with something like a waterfall or other feature. I start with 220 TA and usually give up by the time I get down to 120. It just takes tooooo long! Your SWG will help too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem