Starting a DIY IG kit... Questions

gmmastertech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2013
Southern Ohio
Hi everyone, unbelievable wealth of knowledge on this forum! I am about to donate as it is the least I can do. I have a few questions before ordering the kit. The kit is going to be a lagoon style 18X36 steel wall vinyl with a sport bottom of 3-5-3. I will be doing all stages of the build except the vermiculite/install of the liner which I have a PB doing for me. My residence is in southern Ohio and figuring a swimming season of May to September/October. My questions are:
1 - Is it necessary to have main drains with that sport/play depth?
2 - I am running all separate 2" rigid to pad, which HP rating Hayward 2 stage pump will be most efficient? (There will be 3 deck jets and 1 waterfall & possible step jets)
3 - Unsure of the gallons of water for that size pool, what size sand filter should I get?
4 - 1 or 2 lights? They will be 500 watt clear
5 - How many returns & skimmers should there be if no main drains or with main drains?
Thanks very much! Happy 4th everyone. I will be posting progress pictures along the way. I know everyone loves pics! Matt

1. A lot of pools are built without main drains. If you do install them just make sure they comply with the VGB act.
2. I'll let Mark (mas985) handle that.
3. It's hard to say what size filter without having some idea about volume, but I'd guess about a 4 sqft sand, 200 sqft cart, or a 48 sqft DE would be big enough.
4. 1 would probably do the job, but I'd go ahead and install 2.
5. I'd suggest at least 2 or 3 returns and 2 skimmers. Whether or not you install the main drains.

Thank you for the reply! I'm thinking that the 1.5 HP TriStar should be ok, but wanted to make sure since there will be deck jets and a waterfall. It may be in the future for the waterfall, but i wanted to pre-plumb it in. Would the step jets count as a return or should I go ahead and put 2-3 returns along with the step jets? I'm thinking of getting 2 AquaGenie skimmers that help draw current toward the bottom as well. The equipment pad can either be 5 feet away by the pool or about 40 feet away right next to the detached garage. Would the pump lose that much more efficiency if it is 40 feet? Thanks!

I am don't particularly like the Aqua Genie skimmers, but don't have any real world experience. You can aim regular eyeballs toward the bottom.
I would have two plus the step jets.
If you run 2" or bigger piping the distance won't affect it much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.