DE - After backwashing...

want2betroublefree said:
Is it necessary to add more DE after backwashing? If so, how does one know how much to add?

Thanks in advance.
Yes. it is necessary. The DE is actually what does the filtering. The screens are just what holds it.

How much depends on the filter. There should be a label on it somewhere that tells the make and model, we can help if you can get us that. Otherwise, it will be a guessing game where you post pictures and measure things and we try to figure out what you have.

From my experience and reading, backwashing will only get out about 80% no matter how long you backwash. Eventually when you are backwashing the water will come out clear and will not get anymore DE out.

If you have yellow-brownish growth on the floor that could be a whole other issue.

What I would do is start a new post with the statement below

"there seems to be a yellow-brownish growth on the floor in the deeper end of the pool."

Post a full set of test results and we will be able help you. I said make a new post so all relevant information to this post stays here and then you can get help with testing and such in the new post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.