Safe chlorine levels

Apr 5, 2012
Jonesboro, AR
I have a 33,000 gal IG pool, non salt water and my question is. I shocked the pool last night without thinking about the day being a holiday and my FC is now 10PPM. What is the acceptable FC level that is safe to swim and how do I reduce the FC quickly so we could swim this afternoon. I use bleach to chlorinate

A whole lot depends on the CYA level. Actually it ALL depends on CYA level. If there's no CYA, you're at shock level, so it's iffy, and you will be bleaching out swimsuits. On the other hand, if you've been chlorinating with pucks in the past and CYA has built up to 200 or more, 10 FC might not be high enough to be safe!

[center:elykga6i]
file.php
[/center:elykga6i]

That depends on your CYA level. Higher CYA levels make higher FC levels safe. If you look at the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School, anything below shock level for your CYA level is safe to swim in.

my CYA level is 30, and I use liquid bleach. I kept have a brown looking film on the bottom of the pool that looked like dirt. Thought I would shock it in case it was mustard algae. Didn't think about it being the 4th of July. Should have waited until tonight

mark9559 said:
my CYA level is 30, and I use liquid bleach. I kept have a brown looking film on the bottom of the pool that looked like dirt. Thought I would shock it in case it was mustard algae. Didn't think about it being the 4th of July. Should have waited until tonight
Shock is 13 for 30 CYA, so you're good. You'll lose about 4 to sunlight today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.