Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe chlorine levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe chlorine levels

I have a 33,000 gal IG pool, non salt water and my question is. I shocked the pool last night without thinking about the day being a holiday and my FC is now 10PPM. What is the acceptable FC level that is safe to swim and how do I reduce the FC quickly so we could swim this afternoon. I use bleach to chlorinate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe chlorine levels

A whole lot depends on the CYA level. Actually it ALL depends on CYA level. If there's no CYA, you're at shock level, so it's iffy, and you will be bleaching out swimsuits. On the other hand, if you've been chlorinating with pucks in the past and CYA has built up to 200 or more, 10 FC might not be high enough to be safe!

[center:elykga6i][/center:elykga6i]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

That depends on your CYA level. Higher CYA levels make higher FC levels safe. If you look at the Chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School, anything below shock level for your CYA level is safe to swim in.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

my CYA level is 30, and I use liquid bleach. I kept have a brown looking film on the bottom of the pool that looked like dirt. Thought I would shock it in case it was mustard algae. Didn't think about it being the 4th of July. Should have waited until tonight

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mark9559
    my CYA level is 30, and I use liquid bleach. I kept have a brown looking film on the bottom of the pool that looked like dirt. Thought I would shock it in case it was mustard algae. Didn't think about it being the 4th of July. Should have waited until tonight
    Shock is 13 for 30 CYA, so you're good. You'll lose about 4 to sunlight today.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks so much for the information, have a good 4th