Help! First pool, not going so well

Jul 4, 2013
I'll start off my saying I'm a complete pool noob. I've been reading as much as I can, but it takes a while for all the chemistry to sink in. I'm reading through Pool School as well as the Intex Pool Sticky

We decided to get a cheap 15' intex easy up as our starter pool. We really couldn't afford much more this year. Our summer was pretty terrible last year as I was going through chemo and surgery (cancer sucks), and we're trying to make up for lost time this summer. We've got 3 kids, 8, 3, and 5 months.

The pool was somewhat of an impulse buy, but it was the only thing left locally this time of year so we went for it. It's been AWESOME for the kids so far.

So, a few questions:

I purchased around $90 worth of Baquacil, but on finding that our pool is WAY unlevel (as in we can only get 25" of water in it. Ill have to post a picture, it's quite comical), I decided to drain the pool, level the ground, and give this another go. Is Baquacil worth it? How much would I be looking at to get started with the BBB method? I don't mind taking the time to learn the process if its ultimately better in the long run.

Is this pool worth it? I'd rather have the 16' Ultra frame, but again, we just can't afford it right now. I'm hoping we can get at least 2 years out of this pool while learning as much as we can.

Leveling. I'm going to rent a tiller to even out our ground. What's the cheapest option for us this year for a base? Will leveling and tamping the ground be good enough until we have more time and money to upgrade the foundation? I've seen people mention concrete circles, rock and sand, and foam pads. In the long run, I'd like something nice that minimalizes debris from getting in the pool, but not sure I can swing that this year.

Cleaning the pool. The pump seems pretty weenie, and sounds like a lot of people upgrade theirs. Is the one it came with good enough for now? Or should I start planning for something better? What would be the ideal budget pump setup for this easy up or a metal wall of the same size?

That's all for now, excited to learn from such a great community!

Welcome to TFP!

Intex pools are real pools and require the same maintenance as a Doughboy 27-foot ABG pool. The fact that it is out of level is a problem. If it is more than 1 inch out of level, you need to start over. And remember, always dig down to level rather than build up.

Baquacil is a mess, it is expensive, and it always creates problems. Search "baquacil" on here and read the horrors. I would recommend going with a regular chlorine pool using either bleach or another type.

That will work as it will allow you to loosen stuff up and move it easier. Just be sure that the area gets compacted well before setting it up.

DONE! We ended up finding a great deal on a 14' Ultra Frame, so we swapped for that. MUCH more stable to setup, and easier to aim for getting it centered on our leveled area.

The tiller worked great at breaking up the ground. We built a 17' circle perimeter with 1' retaining wall blocks, added 3" of crushed rock, then 1" of river sand. The pool is NEAR perfectly level, with the measurement at 2 support beams being 1/2" lower than the rest. I'm calling that pretty good for my first attempt at something like this!

Rented a gas compactor to help settle the rock base, worked perfectly. More money than we had planned, but we should be good to go for the next several years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.