Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Of course it is never simple..

1. Back To Top    #1

Of course it is never simple..

So tried to install the larger adapters. Had my son inside the pool with a bowl and I marked the outline.

Began cutting the hole and my son sneezed pushing the bowl and inevitably where I was cutting. Made a nice slash.

Ran around and found patches to cover it up and got those on :/

Now I am stuck because everything is leaking including the adapters. I used the teflon tape on connections as well. I don't know what to do now. I should have left well enough alone I suppose.

The return hole I cut perfectly and it is still leaking as well. I just want to scream at this point..

Any way I can fix this without messing it up more?

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Of course it is never simple..

I would drain it just below the holes and dry them and reseal them. As for the threaded fittings, try tape and paste for plastic pipe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

When it comes to teflon tape, there are 2 options. The white teflon tape is fairly universal, but there is a yellow version that is thicker. It is meant for gas line junctions.

4. Back To Top    #4

I drained it... Patched and tried again...

Not as bad but still leaking some *sigh* and I have no idea what to do about it now .. I really should have left it alone lol

It was the white thin teflon tape (plumber tape as my dad taught me)

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to add, make sure your applying the teflon tape in the same direction as you would thread to tighten, otherwise it will peel back the teflon tape and will have leaks. So if your looking at the threaded end, wrap clockwise.
    Intex AG 14'x42" Ultra Frame | 3357 Gal (3500 Gal from pool calc.)
    Intex 16" Sand Filter/2650 gph pump & Intex 54601EG SWG, Hayward SP1091LX thru-the-wall Skimmer, Intex Magnetic Pool Light, TF-100 test kit w/SpeedStir & Sample Sizer.
    Our first little Intex pool project...

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah it is wrapped right... It is leaking from the bottom where I cut .. It isn't a ton so right now I am in the "good enough until winterizing" lol

Of course the more I stare at it the more it will eat at me so I will end up doing again. I just cut the hole wrong and totally my fault *sigh*

Christina

7. Back To Top    #7

Rather than using teflon tape. I use silicon. Take and put a good bead all the around the beginning of the threads. As you thread in it will work its way into threads making it easier to thread in and seal. And yes you can unthread just as easy.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am so not having a good time lol Now I can't get the intake cover unscrewed so I can hook up the vac ..

We have tried everything and that thing is apparently stuck on there ... Good grief...

Christina

9. Back To Top    #9

If you're talking about the screen on the Intex intake, you're wasting your time, it doesn't unscrew, it is all one piece. And finding a vacuum adapter to fit is next to impossible. That is why most of us install the through the wall skimmer intakes like the Hayward 1091.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine was 2 pieces and just screws off but someone threaded it wrong and it was completely not budging.

However, gave me the opportunity to fix the leaks by pulling it back out. We had to literally take a hammer to the screen and whack it. We finally got it back apart and I just screwed my smaller cover into the inner threading which is where my vacuum adapter goes as well. It works

Got the threads redone in teflon tape and put connector back through and tightened... No leak! Fixed the return one as well but it has a small drip (like a drip every 5 min) so I am satisfied.

So productive day so far lol

Christina