Sand w/a little help?

Rnsmik

Jul 3, 2013
Thinking about adding a little DE to help the sand out? Is there any downside? Read adding de to sand, here at TFP? Once this is done is there any turning back? Does is dissipate over time? I know there's loss during backwash, but how much? Will this also work if I install a SWG? Thanks for any advise.

However, I do notice that GC has ZeoBrite noted in his sand filter (in his signature), so he's adding that to his sand or entirely replacing his sand with it.

Or perhaps he stopped doing so and hasn't updated his signature.

Zeobrite is reportedly an upgrade to sand, a mineral mixture that supposedly filters better than sand.
Having no experience with it, I cannot comment on its effect.

I hope GC can follow up on this.

As you read on TFP about adding DE to a sand filter, it is done to filter out particles down to a smaller size.
Not everyone notices the difference, and not everyone cares about the difference. But those that care often go the extra mile.
It's a completely personal choice, and not at all necessary, assuming your sand filter is working appropriately. :goodjob:

Correct alanpaul, I forgot to mention that I have zeobrite. I still use it. Added the DE once just to try it out. Didn't notice a big enough differenct to keep using it. I think maybe if my pool was lighted, and used at night, then perhaps I'd look for the finer filtering of DE addition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.