Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Me.....Hayward Pro Series...sandy/cloudy discharge

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Me.....Hayward Pro Series...sandy/cloudy discharge

I am going crazy trying to solve this. Whenever I first start my filter, it discharges cloudy sandy water into my pool. I have tried to flush and rinse before turning it to "filter" to no avail. I cannot clean the pool as every time I try it just puts more sand into the pool. PLEASE help. I am at my wits end.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Help Me.....Hayward Pro Series...sandy/cloudy discharge

Welcome to TFP!

You filter is almost certainly broken. A working sand filter should never let sand out. The most likely cause is a broken lateral, but it could also be some other part that is broken internally. Broken laterals are possible to repair yourself, but it is something of a project.

While you are getting the filter fixed, you should run the pool on circulate mode. That isn't ideal, but it is much better than turning the pump off completely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help Me.....Hayward Pro Series...sandy/cloudy discharge

Thanks. That is what we were thinking. We're new to the site. Could you possibly point me in the right direction for replacing the lateral?