Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA Key to Clarity- Wow!

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Key to Clarity- Wow!

I am new at this but learning quickly. Can't believe how CYA effects Chlorine and how little pool stores talk about it. Guess they wouldn't be in business if they did.

I bought the wrong test kit from leslies and am hoping to use it for now and then buy the more expensive one when I use up these chemicals. I bought the dpd kit, but not the fas-dpd. It also doesn't test CYA. So, I am going to make those pool stores that robbed me help me with testing until I finish off this kit, However, had a rude awakening with a store last night. Tell me if I am right or wrong:

I tested: FC: 5, PH 7.5, Alkalinity is about 100. I had added borax 12 hours earlier and it showed an increase in ph from 7.2 to 7.5. Felt good, but once I started learning what CYA does, well, I still had pucks in my chlorinator. I turned the chlorinator to 0 to keep more cya from entering. We get hot sun and lots of rain here in South Alabama. Plenty scheduled for the next 2 days and last night. That's why I increased the PH to keep it from dropping to low after rain. Or, at least that was my understanding. Doesn't rain contain Acid? Doesn't it lower PH?

Pool store numbers:
    FC: .74ppm
    TC: 2.3ppm
    CC: 1.56ppm
    PH: 7
    Hardness: 0
    Alkalinity: 81ppm
    CYA: 67 ppm
    Copper 0
    Iron: 0
    Borate: 42ppm

They said everything was fine, just add 4lbs of shock and wait for the rain. The guy said the rain would increase the PH?! Reading the computer instructions: Add 1lb 3oz of Soda, Add Calcium Chloride, add Chlorine shock, add 2 tablets trichlor.

Wow! He ignored everything the computer said except for the shock.

Needless to say, I won't do any of it! I only wanted the CYA numbers and to verify what I am seeing on my own tests. I also have another cheaper test kit and strips. They agreed with my test results above.

The rain last night pushed some silt into the pool, so I am going to vacuum to waste and add some water and then re-test shortly. My pool is clear and looks great. The Chlorine is high because I added too much bleach the other day. My results were showing 0ppm on the FC and so I added 2 gallons of 5.25. My chlorine shot up, but I was losing chlorine daily, now it is stabilizing and not losing. Because of daily rains there is a need to backwash weekly at a minimum with a small water replacement ongoing. I am going to have to learn in this weather how to maintain FC and get the CYA down. Am I correct that the CYA should gradually reduce with these backwashes and water replacements without a large drain since the CYA is 67ppm? I still have a hard time believing that their ph recorded that low.

What a waste of money on these pool stores! I have ordered a CYA test kit from TFTestkits and it has already shipped. Just got concerned that I was already too high and might have to drain. Glad to see it not super high. I have a supply of bleach, borax and B soda. I will test daily and go to a different pool store weekly to verify results. Can't wait to get a better test kit!

Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Key to Clarity- Wow!

The jury seems to still be out as to whether rain affects pH.
    We're here in S. FL and heavy rainfall does seem to make the pH rise. BUT it's NOT dependable.
    Some folks believe that it's the pounding rain on the surface of the pool, causing aeration, thus pH rise.
    There's really no clear explanation, so far.

As you get feets and feets of rain over the course of a year there in Southern AL, and most of it in the summer, I suspect your CYA will gradually drop to where you want it, as you have discontinued using the pucks.

Just use your test kit to be sure your FC level is appropriate for your CYA level.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

3. Back To Top    #3

If - huge if - those numbers are correct, you have too much CC. But I wouldn't freak out, since it is such a huge IF.

Turn off the chlorinator to stop raising CYA (and lowering ph) and just maintain appropriate FC levels for that CYA. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I found the chart and my chlorine seems appropriate for the level of cya. We have a low pressure system off the coast right now, so until it passes, lots of rain today, tomorrow and maybe into the weekend. Will be watching all the time.

I just re-tested this am: I still show 5-7ppm FC, 110 Alkalinity, 7.5ph. I'm not messing with anything right now, other than a quick vacuum and water top off!
    16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Ignore the rain. It has very little effect on most pools.
    So, I am going to make those pool stores that robbed me help me with testing until I finish off this kit
    I understand your motivation but you are punishing yourself. Why would you go back to a place that gives you bogus advice and, especially, probably bogus test results?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Didn't know they were bogus until this morning after I re-tested and verified. Thought I could just get true results since I didn't have my cya kit yet; didn't want the advice. It was interesting that I knew they were lying or ignorant while I was standing there looking at them. My own self validation........
    16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by skyjenn
    I am going to make those pool stores that robbed me help me with testing until I finish off this kit...They agreed with my test results above.
    +1 to what Dave (duraleigh) said. Pool store testing is notoriously inaccurate, especially on the CYA test. If you are currently using the strips to test with, this may go a long way in explaining why your results match the pool store's.

I have ordered a CYA test kit from TFTestkits and it has already shipped.
    Good choice . Retest CYA as soon as it arrives. Would also suggest the whole TF-100 kit - you will need it eventually.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Most people say that rain has very little effect on pH, but I have noticed that it definitely lowers my pH. I assume that because I have a solar cover, that cancels out the aeration effect, but the water is acidic, which is why my pH gets lowered.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

UPDATE! It has been one month since I turned my pool from dark green using only bleach. As I have been reading and asking questions I am continually astounded at how beautifully clear my water is. My pool has never been this pretty; it always looks like I just filled it. As I learn more about CYA and continue to monitor it, I made the decision to do about a 1/3 water replacement to bring it down so that I can use less bleach. I am still learning how to test the CYA and making sure I really can't see the black dot in the tube anymore, but it appears to be a little above the 50 mark. I am going to maintain at this level until I see that it is stationary. I used to dread walking out my back door because every day the pool was a surprise. We are enjoying our pool now and truly glad to see it every day. Thank you so much for this forum and for all of the support!
    16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Very nice words about the forum (thanks) but don't overlook that the congratulations go mostly to you for your willingness to learn and your diligence to use what you have learned to become a true BBB'r.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Now let us see a pic!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I have a pic, how do I upload it to the forum?
    16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

13. Back To Top    #13

16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

14. Back To Top    #14

16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

15. Back To Top    #15

I use my phone to upload pic's to the forum using Tapatalk Its very easy. Generally phones take good pic's.

Just my 0.02.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

I have an iphone; tapatalk is for android
    16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

17. Back To Top    #17

You can use Tapatalk for an iPhone. I do.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

[attachment=0:2ujtaqvl]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373808688.108053.jpg[/attachment:2ujtaqvl]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks! Tapatalk works great! Sorry pic is so big
    16 x 36 in-ground
    Vinyl
    25,900 gallons
    Hayward Sand
    Hayward Northstar 1hp

20. Back To Top    #20

Good job. Looks great.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast