Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter sand level

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter sand level

How full should the sand filter be? When I looked in mine the other day, it is no more then 3/4 of the way full. I am not sure what size it is, but it measure about 24" tall and 21" wide.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

2. Back To Top    #2

Northwest Arkansas
    I'm no expert, but I recently replaced the sand in my filter and downloaded the filter manual for instructions. 3/4 sounds about right, however, I believe you measure (at least I did) by pounds of sand. You should see that on the filter label or go the website for the filter manufacturer where you should be able to find the filters sand capacity. Unless its 10 years old or you have a faulty valve you should not have lost a lot of sand while backwashing. Why did you open the filter to see? Is there some other problem your trying to solve?
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'
    As long as you added the recommended amount, everything is fine The sand filters need a little room for the water above the sand to work correctly - if the filter was full to the top, it wouldn't function properly.

Have a beer and hop in the pool - no need to stress yourself over this
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)