what calculation and what salt...

Mar 14, 2013
good morning troops...
since the last visit i have purchased and getting ready to install a " total control " saltwater system... i have two relatively simple questions....

1) several of their calculations ask for " average depth " and then they ask for volume using " average depth" as an element in the calculation... in my mind that can't be correct... volume is volume... l x w x depth ... in my case 15 x 30 x 4 = 1800 x 7.5 = 13,500 gal more or less ... if i use their calculation for " average depth " its 1/2 of that... i don't figure they are correct...

2) several companies make " pool salt " ... morton wont declare a " purity " diamond crystal does and it meets total's spec... i am happy to hear experiences and reccomendations for what salt to run ...

happy 4th.

Morning Stevexm
My pool is around 14,600 gals and I added 10 bags to start
Waited a day and then tested with a salt strip
Better to add less at first than to over shoot the recommended amount
I think we used Morton pool salt but I don't remember right now

SkyKid said:
Morning Stevexm
My pool is around 14,600 gals and I added 10 bags to start
Waited a day and then tested with a salt strip
Better to add less at first than to over shoot the recommended amount
I think we used Morton pool salt but I don't remember right now

thx for taking the time to answer...
i hate to screw things up by being stupid. at first blush, morton annoys me by not declaring their purity level... and second there are bad reviews for the morton regarding clogging and ruined sensors... now the first may just me being picky but i worry about the second. the diamond has no bad reviews and on the face of it say directly " 99.something % pure " .... i just figured i would ask the people that have some long standing experience...

Take a look at this, if you haven't already.
autopilot-s-total-control-system-review-t2892.html

Also, please fill in your signature and location info in your profile as instructed in the 1st link in pool school. This way we can better assist you based on your climate and equipment.

Edit: As for water volume, avg. depth only applies if your depth varies. Ie you have an 8ft deep end and a 4ft shallow end. 8+4=12 / 2 = 6ft avg depth.
It sounds like you just have a std all around 4ft depth. So ignore the avg and use 4ft as your number. Or 8 if they divide it by 2 after you enter it.

As for the Morton salt, plenty of people use it here. Use the site Google search up top to find out what you need. As for it clogging their cells and sensors, that can happen with any salt pool and isn't because if the salt but the water's mineral and calcium "CH" hardness levels. This occurs from improper water balance.
See Pool School in my Sig for more info, specifically the Salt Water section.

y_not said:
Take a look at this, if you haven't already.
autopilot-s-total-control-system-review-t2892.html

Also, please fill in your signature and location info in your profile as instructed in the 1st link in pool school. This way we can better assist you based on your climate and equipment.

Edit: As for water volume, avg. depth only applies if your depth varies. Ie you have an 8ft deep end and a 4ft shallow end. 8+4=12 / 2 = 6ft avg depth.
It sounds like you just have a std all around 4ft depth. So ignore the avg and use 4ft as your number. Or 8 if they divide it by 2 after you enter it.

As for the Morton salt, plenty of people use it here. Use the site Google search up top to find out what you need. As for it clogging their cells and sensors, that can happen with any salt pool and isn't because if the salt but the water's mineral and calcium "CH" hardness levels. This occurs from improper water balance.
See Pool School in my Sig for more info, specifically the Salt Water section.

i have seen that thread and discussed this in depth with jason last year while making the decision on which way to go. you do bring up an interesting point however.... i am in the carribean so the water tems are tradionally high... 60 and 70's in the winter 80's and high 90's in the summer in addition, all the water here is de-salinated sea water... which makes it " hard " i believe. i could actually fill this pool with sea water if i wanted... i wonder what the de sal water will do to this thing...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.