skipping CYA for a few days?

Jun 3, 2013
Seattle WA
I am really excited about getting my pool up and running on this Monday. I was hoping to follow the steps listed on this site for seasonal pool maintenance. The start-up steps call for 4 days of dichlor in order to get the CYA and FC up. Here is my issue. I ordered the dichlor from amazon and they are taking their sweet time delivering it. My options are to go to the local pool store and get some dichlor OR is it possible to just use bleach for two days then implement the 4 days of dichlor after that?

You can, but you will need to be vigilant not to let your Chlorine get too low. Without cya in a pool you will lose a lot to the sun.

Another option would be to buy Stabilizer/Conditioner locally. This is typically close to 100% cya and would be used along with bleach/liquid chlorine instead of the dichlor.

What size is your pool?

Another very viable option is simply put in about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of bleach and mix thoroughly about an hour before each time you use the pool.

It will go away rather quickly but it will stay there long enough for you to get the sanitation that you need. If you stay in the pool longer than say around 4 hours, put in another 1/2 cup

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.