Storage of corrosive chemicals

Jun 6, 2013
SoCal
I realize that most pool chemicals are suggested to be stored out of doors in a well ventilated area. I believe that it is mostly Chlorine that corrodes metals.
I run saltwater and do not keep chlorine chemicals. My question is mostly about liquid muriatic acid. Is it corrosive? Can I store it in a plastic deck storage box that has other metal items? The acid is held in the original package plastic jugs and has no spills.
What do you think?

Don't do it. Once the bottle is opened and if it's sitting near metal, the tiniest amount of vapor from the bottle will corrode that metal. Keep it probably 4-5 feet away from any metal just to be safe.

porkandbeans said:
Good to know. Thank you!
Is the powder/granulated acid just as corrosive?
Yes, but it's not vented.

I keep my stuff in the returnable plastic crates around the corner from the patio, in the shade. It's not like we have to worry about water damage to the boxes from rain. However, I don't have kids running loose in the yard, either.

Hmmmm . . . now I have some thinking to do about where to store chemicals.
Not in the garage. Not in the shed. Not in the garden box. Not with the bbq supplies, near kids or pets.
Please chime in if you have a certain storage method.

I have the same problem. I currently have my acid bottle on a paver, under a five gallon bucket with a heavy paver on top, behind a retaining wall. I do not have very curious kids so I think this is fairly safe, but I monitor that corner of the yard when we have other kids over. Some day I'll find a little deck box or even hose reel holder box that I can fashion a lock or tie down for and make it more secure - but I only have to worry about it 3 months per year.

On a side note, my kids are sort of interested in the pool chemistry and see what I do and I explain it as well as I can (I'm no chem geek!). They have learned a healthy respect for chemicals so that helps me think they will not touch them even if presented the opportunity. Their involvement in the process has created some odd moments tho: one time they explained to someone that I could not come right inside because I was outside "dropping acid." In fairness, that is what I say when I'm gonna use muratic acid (and they know that means not to talk to me, not to be near the bottle, etc) but it was funny to hear them say it and even more funny since the person they said it to had no clue what was meant.

Hmmmm . . . now I have some thinking to do about where to store chemicals.
Not in the garage. Not in the shed. Not in the garden box. Not with the bbq supplies, near kids or pets.
Please chime in if you have a certain storage method.
Well, that's a bit of overthink. What has been suggested is not to store muriatic too close to metals. I would do the same with chlorine.

Mine sit in a decently ventilated shelter (along with my yard tools, tractor, etc.) on a WOODEN shelf and probably 5 feet or so away from anything metal. That should be easy enough to find a spot.

As long as you get some airflow it should be fine. That being said I had a jug in my garage (no windows, closed door most of the time) and things not even close to it started to get surface rust. I moved it out to the shed with the lawn stuff and I've haven't had any problems. The shed has two small windows which I usually leave cracked open. I think the airflow is the key.

Thanks for the good tips and valuable information.
I just put my chems in an all plastic kitchen size trash can. It is marketed for indoors so it looks decent stuffed in the corner if the patio. It has a loose fitting swivel style lid so ventilation should not be an issue.
Safe, looks goods, and won't rust!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.