Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement Motor Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Cincinnati, OH

Replacement Motor Help

Hi all,

I have a 1HP (SF=1.25) Pinnacle pool pump. It's ten years old. Tonight, I turned it off to empty the basket. When I reinstalled the basket and turned it back on, it just hummed and then tripped itself off internally after a few seconds, and I could smell a burning smell.

Tomorrow, I am going to tear it apart and see if the impeller is jammed, but if I can't find anything obvious, I plan to replace the motor. I am 99.9% sure that nothing entered the impeller area when the basket was removed.

It is an A.O. Smith motor and after doing some Googling, it looks like I need a model number USQ1102 or for a few more bucks, I can get a more energy efficient version (UQC1102). I'm leaning to the latter.

Can anyone recommend a reliable source that provides good prices? I found this source, which was significantly lower than any place else, but the price seems too good to be true ($139 vs $224 on Amazon).

Also, I'm confused as to what pump seal I need.

As an aside, I would love a 2-speed, but I tried a few years ago, and my salt system did not like the low speed at all. It kept giving me a Low Flow message and would not generate salt.

Thanks in advance.
    24,000 gal / DE Filter / IG / Vinyl / 2HP Pentair / Installed 2003

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Replacement Motor Help

if you know the model number for the motor your considering I would suggest checking ebay
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~