Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small Floating Junk

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Small Floating Junk

[attachment=0:ex3hzir8]Junk on Surface.JPG[/attachment:ex3hzir8]

I keep seeing small floating junk on the pool surface. Please see the photo above for what it looks like. The pool looks absolutely clear but looking at it with the sun at the right angle you can see the trash. You can also see it at night with the light on. It is definitely just floating on the surface.

The water is so clear you can see the individual pieces of quartz on the pool in the deep end.

My pool was re-plastered on June 19, 2013

I had a 2 speed pump installed at the same time. I am running the pump on low about 16 hours a day. According to the flow meter I got from TFTestkits the pump is moving about 28 gallons per minute in low.

I have a large Live Oak that shades about 40% of the pool most of the day.

I have back washed the filter twice since the pool was re-plastered(when the pressure went up).

Can anyone tell what this might be?

Is this a problem that the pump is not moving the water fast enough or is something wrong with the filter and I need to work on that.

Attached Images Attached Images
    29.2K Gallon Pool/Spa - Gunite/Diamond Brite
    Houston, TX Built 1983, Replastered June 14, 2013
    2 HP Sta-Rite Pump with replacement 2 speed motor, 60 SF Nautilus DE Filter
    Stenner Pump, No Heater, 280 Polaris
    TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Small Floating Junk

It sounds like you have skimming action problems, this may mean you need to adjust the flow from your return eyeball fittings, or perhaps even run your pump on high some of the time.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~