Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My SWCG doesn't generate chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

My SWCG doesn't generate chlorine

First, I ran 2 hrs/day. Now 3 hr/day but FC level always low when I perform the test (once every 2 days). The level was mostly 1 or 2. Sometimes 0. Added chlorine. Few days later. Same thing. Add chlorine again. So on....

In the manual recommends run 3 hr for the size of my pool.

What is the problem here?
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex sand filter 1600 GPH
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Taylor K2006 kit & Taylor Salt Water Test Kit K-1766
    Installed 4/29/13

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My SWCG doesn't generate chlorine

First thing to check is your CYA level. CYA should be between 70 and 80 ppm with a SWG. If the CYA level is significantly less than this, then your chlorine is being lost to sunlight more quickly than the SWG can produce it. Please post your CYA test results and we will go from there.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Other levels can also affect things, so best if you could post a complete set of test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I knew I forgot to post something.

CYA - about 65 (just test yesterday). I know it's low but not that much low.
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 90

The PH and TA are mostly at that level. Sometimes, they are bit high (PH - 7.8, TA - 110), so I added MA to bring down the TA then aerate to bring PH up.
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by hpdad
    ...FC level always low when I perform the test (once every 2 days). The level was mostly 1 or 2. Sometimes 0. Added chlorine. Few days later. Same thing. Add chlorine again. So on....
    Next thing we need to look at is your FC and (especially) CC levels. From your post, your FC level hovered between 1 and 2 ppm with occasional drops to 0. The minimum recommended maintenance FC level is 3 ppm for a SWG pool @ 65-70 CYA. All of your FC test results are below that. What is particularly concerning are the FC drops to 0. This is like placing a welcome mat out for algae and I'm beginning to suspect that you have a nascent algae bloom going on that is not yet visible. However, even at this early stage, algae (or other organic contaminants) will consume chlorine at higher than normal rates.

Chlorine is depleted daily which is an entirely normal part of it doing its job sanitizing your pool water. Assuming your SWG is not giving you any warnings (low salt, bad cell, etc.), and assuming your water is free of organic contaminants, it will keep up with the chlorine demand. However, if algae or other organic contaminants get a foothold in your pool (usually by letting FC drop below recommended levels), then chlorine demand will increase and the SWG may not be able to keep up.

Please post current FC and CC results.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

6. Back To Top    #6

Yesterday, after tested FC = 0.4, I added about 28 oz of bleach.

Just did another test now (1:30 pm)

FC = 3.8
    CC = 0.2
    PH = 7.9
    TA = 90

However, I know the FC level will be down to 1 tomorrow. That is why I think the SWG doesn't generate chlorine or may be something else I don't know about.

The salt level is 3200.

The CYA is 65. I will add 5 oz of stabilizer later today to bring it up to 75

The water is crystal clear.

The SWG is running fine with no warning.
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

7. Back To Top    #7

There is probably something in your pool consuming the chlorine faster than the SWG can produce it. I would bring your FC up to shock level, turn off the SWG, and do an overnight loss test.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Just measured after two days:

FC = 2 (was 3.8 on July 4)
    CC = 0

I am going to add chlorine and perform over night lost test. What level should I bring it up to? Base on the link below, it doesn't say anything about it.

pool-school/overnight_fc_test
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

9. Back To Top    #9

I am going to add chlorine and perform over night lost test. What level should I bring it up to?
    I would bring FC up to 5 ppm based on the Chlorine / CYA Chart for SWG pools and your current CYA of 65.

Make sure you turn SWG off on the night you run the Overnight Loss Test. After recording your results in the morning, turn SWG back on.

10. Back To Top    #10

Got it. Thanks
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

11. Back To Top    #11

so if I am shocking at night should I be turning my SWG on during the day to help keep up the chlorine? sorry to threadjack.

12. Back To Top    #12

Leave swg off during shocking...it extends the life of the cell.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

13. Back To Top    #13

Added chlorine last night

FC = 15.4

CC = 0.2

Just test it at 8:30 am.

FC - 10.4

CC = 0.2

Lost 5 ppm over night. The water is clear. What should I do at this point. I don't understand why it lost so much FC over night. One thing I need to pint out is I took the test at 8:30 am and the sun is already on the pool.
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

14. Back To Top    #14

How long after the last dose of chlorine did you test?

15. Back To Top    #15

Smykowski, I am not sure I understand your question.

I want to buy more reagent r-0871 but I see R-0871 A, C, and E, which should I get. I guess they are all the same. The only different is the amount. Just want to make sure
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

16. Back To Top    #16

Smykowski, I am not sure I understand your question.

I want to buy more reagent r-0871 but I see R-0871 A, C, and E, which should I get. I guess they are all the same. The only different is the amount. Just ant to make sure
    You have that correct, it's just the bottle size.

The amount you lost is way more than you should even be losing in 24 hours, with the sun on it for 12 of them! So you need to continue the shock process. The more diligent you are about maintaining the FC level, the faster it will go.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

When shocking, can i run the pump in "recirculation" mode or "filter: mode or doesn't matter. The reason I asked because the current runs stronger in "recirculation" mode
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

18. Back To Top    #18

When shocking, can i run the pump in "recirculation" mode or "filter: mode or doesn't matter. The reason I asked because the current runs stronger in "recirculation" mode
    I suppose either would work, but you're going to have to vacuum or filter out whatever's clogging the filter at some point. Whether it's every three days now, or every fifteen minutes at the end is up to you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

19. Back To Top    #19

I am in the process of shocking the pool though something I'm not sure.

To my understanding, shocking the pool when there is algae. I haven't seen algae in my pool. The water is clear since day one. The CC is good. The only problem is it "eats" chlorine so fast.
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

20. Back To Top    #20

I am in the process of shocking the pool though something I'm not sure.

To my understanding, shocking the pool when there is algae. I haven't seen algae in my pool. The water is clear since day one. The CC is good. The only problem is it "eats" chlorine so fast.
    You're doing it because there is something organic consuming chlorine. There's only two ways to lose chlorine: organics (dead skin, algae, leaves, pollen, etc) and sunlight. The overnight test showed you lost 5. Since the sun didn't do it, something organic did. So kill it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast