Electrical solutions

Jun 6, 2013
Ohio
I was wondering how everyone is running electrical to their pumps. I am temporarily running outdoor power cords from the GFI outlet on the house but this isn't very attractive. I'm open to ideas on how to better run electricity to the pumps. I should add that due to the sloping of my yard, I had to put the pool about 45 yds from the closest outdoor outlet. :grrrr:

135 feet is quiet a long run for power cords. I dont know what guage your using but I'm thinking that is a tad to far whatever it is. The only thing I would know to do is just run some UF 12-2 and stub it up near the pump. Dont know what your electrical codes are where you live but it's probably going to involve an electrician.

+1 on the electrician.

We ran 100' of HD extension cords to our pump while waiting for the electrician. a little scary 'cuz the plug was getting HOT.

You'll most likely need a "ditch witch" to trench (watch the pool! I almost took our newly installed AG pool when the ditch witch I rented hit a rock, veered hard left and hit/ almost took out a support column) , some 1 1/2" conduit (straights, elbows, boxes and glue) , a twist lock plug for the pump, a "convenience" outlet if your system is more than 20' from an outlet (our's was 21 feet from the back of the house and we had to run an additional line in case I wanted to fire up a stereo/ TV on the far side of the pool) and don't forget the water bonding.

ahhhh the joy's of a walk behind Ditch Witch. Good story you have there. They can beat you to death on a 100 ft run in rocky ground. I think code calls for 24" direct bury or 12-18 in conduit. The Ditch Witch is the only way to go. And yes once a license Electrician get involved water bonding comes into play in a lot of places before he will sign off on it and turn it on. It adds up in a hurry.

To be honest I dont think the UF-B 12-2 I mentioned eariler will pass either but that is the largest guage they will let you hook a GFCI up to. You may have to run a bigger wire and go into a box and then step down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.