Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: one long pump run or several shorter

1. Back To Top    #1

one long pump run or several shorter

Hi
    Is it "better" to run the pump say 9 consecutive hours or
    3 periods of 3hours each

thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: one long pump run or several shorter

I say break it up if you can with a timer if you can.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the summer I run a short cycle early in the day to hopefully push things towards the skimmer and equalize the temperature throughout the whole depth of the pool. The main filtering is later, when i have time to test and dose.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it is better to break up the run time if you can but three 3 hour segments is way too long. You might try three 1 hour segments and see if that works ok.

Have a read: pool-school/pump_run_time
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Yes, it is better to break up the run time if you can but three 3 hour segments is way too long. You might try three 1 hour segments and see if that works ok.

Have a read: pool-school/pump_run_time
    thank you all

Ok, would seriously like to reduce pump run costs but...

have been told that total pool volume (30,000) should be circulated once / day and that that takes about 8 hours
    so not true, do not need to run 8 hrs to exchange total volume?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

No it is not true. Read the link I posted.

BTW, what model pump do you have? 8 hours is pretty low flow rate for a 30k turnover.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

have done
    will do
    outcome will be interesting (and cheaper)
    thank you

8. Back To Top    #8

BTW, what model pump do you have? 8 hours is pretty low flow rate for a 30k turnover.
    WhisperFlo one hp
    I think model is WTE-4

I tried to calculate time to turn over but failed

9. Back To Top    #9

Probably a WFE-4. A WFE-4 will produce about 80 GPM on 2" plumbing for a turnover of about 6 hours.

Also, what is your method of chlorination? Unless it is manual, that will need some adjustment for the reduced run time.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Probably a WFE-4. A WFE-4 will produce about 80 GPM on 2" plumbing for a turnover of about 6 hours.

Also, what is your method of chlorination? Unless it is manual, that will need some adjustment for the reduced run time.
    ok, 6 is 2/3 of 9 so cost down to 2/3, nice

chlorination? Rainbow 320, set on setting #3, about 1/2 filled with tabs, and has the inlet at the top

11. Back To Top    #11

I didn't mean to imply that you had to run 6 hours. I current run my pump 4 hours per day which is about 1/2 turn per day so you might be able to get away with 3 hours per day which is why I suggested 3x1 hour runs.

As for the chlorinator, because of the reduced run time, you will need to adjust that for more in less time.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

I didn't mean to imply that you had to run 6 hours. I current run my pump 4 hours per day which is about 1/2 turn per day so you might be able to get away with 3 hours per day which is why I suggested 3x1 hour runs.

As for the chlorinator, because of the reduced run time, you will need to adjust that for more in less time.
    is getting better and better, 3 is 1/3 of 9, lots of kWh saved
    which is serious on Whidbey Island (near Seattle) as the pool is empty lots of the year

with Rainbow at 3 and half filled, there is plenty of room to increase

so why do I have a pool? was here when we bought the place
    and by the way was green when we arrived, so green could walk on the water
    now is clear, grandbabies will swim tomorrow; maybe me too for that matter

thank you again