confused about "normal" and acceptable PSI

Jun 30, 2013
So I have read probably 20-30 threads on this forum and other places on the Internet about PSI but still a bit confused.

Is there really no "normal" PSI and instead you should just see what your pool is at when filter is cleaned, skimmers are cleared, etc? I ask b/c my pool is a year old but I just got it in a house we bought and I am not convinced that the previous owner was very good at maintenance based on some issues I have seen with it and have had to fix, so I do not really trust the "normal" PSI.

Also, I just replaced the PSI gauge today as the old one never moved above 0 and for some reason I never quite put together that it was broke, just thought the PSI was super low (I know how stupid this sounds now).

With the pump running on the high setting (has high and low), the pressure reads at 19.

In the last 24 hours I have added salt to the pool and shock through the skimmer. I don't know if these affect PSI but wanted to list them in case it does.

Should I consider 19 to be in the normal range since I cannot really baseline from when the pool was first installed? If not, what would be a normal reading.

I want to use DE to get the pool clearer, but first I want to make sure the PSI pressure is reasonable.

My normal PSI used to be 8 clean, then I changed gauges (died) and it went to 10 clean, I made some plumbing changes and added a PoolSkim and the normal is now 18 clean (I need to fix the plumbing)

Depends on pump "size" too.

19 PSI is high for a 1/2 HP pump on 2.5" plumbing but is low for a 2 HP pump on 1.5" plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.