Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: confused about "normal" and acceptable PSI

1. Back To Top    #1

confused about "normal" and acceptable PSI

So I have read probably 20-30 threads on this forum and other places on the Internet about PSI but still a bit confused.

Is there really no "normal" PSI and instead you should just see what your pool is at when filter is cleaned, skimmers are cleared, etc? I ask b/c my pool is a year old but I just got it in a house we bought and I am not convinced that the previous owner was very good at maintenance based on some issues I have seen with it and have had to fix, so I do not really trust the "normal" PSI.

Also, I just replaced the PSI gauge today as the old one never moved above 0 and for some reason I never quite put together that it was broke, just thought the PSI was super low (I know how stupid this sounds now).

With the pump running on the high setting (has high and low), the pressure reads at 19.

In the last 24 hours I have added salt to the pool and shock through the skimmer. I don't know if these affect PSI but wanted to list them in case it does.

Should I consider 19 to be in the normal range since I cannot really baseline from when the pool was first installed? If not, what would be a normal reading.

I want to use DE to get the pool clearer, but first I want to make sure the PSI pressure is reasonable.
    Pool Info: 15,000 gallons, In Ground Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: confused about "normal" and acceptable PSI

Each individual system is different but 19 psi sounds in the common range.

If you've cleaned your filter and have a new gauge take the reading as normal. Don't overthink it too much.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what bama said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My normal PSI used to be 8 clean, then I changed gauges (died) and it went to 10 clean, I made some plumbing changes and added a PoolSkim and the normal is now 18 clean (I need to fix the plumbing)
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

My normal PSI was 13 for several years. Never changed. Never thought much about it. Then, one day I looked at it when the pump wasn't running. 13.
    $7.99 for a new gauge and my new normal is 17 PSI.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

6. Back To Top    #6

It all depends on how long the pipe runs are, how big are the pipes, even how big the return eyeballs are.

You'll know after you backwash what clean pressure should be.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Depends on pump "size" too.

19 PSI is high for a 1/2 HP pump on 2.5" plumbing but is low for a 2 HP pump on 1.5" plumbing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the help!
    Pool Info: 15,000 gallons, In Ground Pool