Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing DE Filter for First Time

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing DE Filter for First Time

Hi, as I mentioned in my intro post, I just bought a house with a SWG pool and I've been using the BBB method w/ TF100 test kit from the start for a perfectly balanced and, thus far, easy pool owning experience.

That being said, my filter pressure gauge has slowly been increasing ever since I bought the house and is now approaching the 25% mark. The pool levels are all fine - I'm sure it's just from all the leaves and debris that I get from having 3 trees hanging over the pool.

I bought some DE (HE brand "Filter Aid") because I know backwashing will require replacing 80% of the DE, but I was wondering if someone could walk me through the backwashing process. I've never owned a pool before this, so if you could break it down to baby steps, that would be really helpful!

Thanks
    ~15k gal IG pebble pool/spa w/ water features, Goldline ProLogic + SWG, 2x Hayward Northstar pumps, Hayward Booster Pump, Hayward 60sqft DE filter, 400k BTU Hayward heater, Hayward Viio Turbo pool cleaner, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing DE Filter for First Time

16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

This may help some. I was worried the first time I cleaned my DE filter when I had one, but once I was done I was like that was easy. Here is a video I found on youtube. You may want to google your brand and see if there is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIZYr5TCnc
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Tip: unroll the backwash hose carefully and make sure there are absolutely no twists or kinks in it. It will balloon up and pop so fast you won;t believe it - and probably at the worst possible location.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hm, I don't know that I've seen a backwash hose...
    ~15k gal IG pebble pool/spa w/ water features, Goldline ProLogic + SWG, 2x Hayward Northstar pumps, Hayward Booster Pump, Hayward 60sqft DE filter, 400k BTU Hayward heater, Hayward Viio Turbo pool cleaner, TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Is the waste port plumbed to a drain? If so you are all set.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess it is, because I did the backwash yesterday and didn't see any water coming out anywhere.