Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand filter vs cartridge filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

sand filter vs cartridge filter?

sand filter vs cartridge filter?

is a cartridge filter more energy efficient than a sand filter?

My sand filter currently starts at about 19 psi, and I backwash when it gets upto 23-25psi depending on the water level.

If I had a cartridge filter, would I love more water flow and lower psi?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: sand filter vs cartridge filter?

Similarly sized filters are all about the same efficiency, regardless of sand, DE, or cartridge. Larger filters are a little more efficient than smaller filters.

Over all the filter is a fairly small factor in the plumbing efficiency. Other factors make much more difference, things like pipe size, distance from the equipment to the pool, etc.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey smooth2222--I'm in Michigan, too. Where abouts are you? ( If you don't mind my asking) I love my cart filter. Not having a DH, I did not want to mess round with hundreds of pounds of sand.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Macomb twp, about 2 hours away from you. My sand filter works great cause I add fiberclear to it. was just wondering about cartridge.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I add Purifiber(same as Fiberclear) to my cart. I am aware than some don't recommend using it in a cart filter but there are dosing instructions for carts and I have NEVER had a problem with it. I start with a clean cart of course!

6. Back To Top    #6

ya Debbie, you got me on the purifiber. I bought the big bag, should last 5 years plus. lol

stuff works awesome, crystal clear water.

7. Back To Top    #7

I got the big bag, too. (25#) It'll last long time! It really does help to "polish" up the water.

8. Back To Top    #8

Cartridge filters will typically have less head loss than other filters mainly because it doesn't have a backwash valve. Most backwash valves seem to add a lot of head loss to a plumbing system. Sand filters also have the additional disadvantage that the head loss increases with decreasing filter area whereas cartridge and DE filters have fairly constant head loss vs size.

However, to take advantage of the lower head loss and achieve lower energy costs, you have to reduce pump run time. Here is a chart of the relative head loss of various filters:

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Not sure if it matters, but the Sand will use a lot more water, it takes a lot more water backwashing than cleaning a Cartridge Filter.
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa