Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused on Salt level reading from AutoPilot vs store test

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused on Salt level reading from AutoPilot vs store test

I have an AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator and am confused about the salt levels its reporting versus what testing at the pool store says.

Yesterday morning I got the water tested at a local pool store and they said it was 2500ppm and recommended one bag (40lbs) of salt. Before adding, the autopilot was reading at 3500ppm, so a 1000ppm difference from the test.

This morning the autopilot said 3400ppm and when I brought water to store again they said it was at 2700ppm and said to use another bag of salt to get into the 2800-3200 range.

So I am pretty confused on what the difference is between what the AutoPilot LED is telling me and what the water is registering.
    Pool Info: 15,000 gallons, In Ground Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused on Salt level reading from AutoPilot vs store t

If the swg is happy (within reason) then I wouldn't worry about what the test said. You're only 600 ppm apart and that's within the accuracy of the test.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    If the swg is happy (within reason) then I wouldn't worry about what the test said. You're only 600 ppm apart and that's within the accuracy of the test.
    oh wow, so the test can really be that far off reality?

Is there some explaination why a full bag of salt would make the LED read be 100 less though?

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you shut down the swg for 24 hours after you added the salt? If not you shoud have.

The salt has to have 24 hours of circulation to fully integrate into the water. If you read it less than 24 hours aftter adding it I wouldn't worry about the reading.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Did you shut down the swg for 24 hours after you added the salt? If not you shoud have.

The salt has to have 24 hours of circulation to fully integrate into the water. If you read it less than 24 hours aftter adding it I wouldn't worry about the reading.
    actually my chlorine was really low so the guy had me do a boost cycle at the same time I was adding the sand (yesterday).

I then went back this morning and added the new bag of sand after their 2700 reading and the SWG is on the normal 55% output and not boost.

I think I will wait until tomorrow afternoon and see what the LED says again

Thanks for the help!

6. Back To Top    #6

You should always turn you swg off for 24 hours when adding salt.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Should I go turn it off now? The salt was added about 4 hours ago and the pump is at the 55% operation.

8. Back To Top    #8

You're lucky in that the Pool Pilot will shut down on high salt level IIRC. I would go shut it off just for my peace of mind.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator