INTEX 2500gph Sand+Salt Pump, Vacuuming flow issues

Jul 3, 2013
Hi all,

I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/120V-SAND-FILTER- ... 1372871244

It's a 2500gph salt+sand filter pump. I use it on my 16in Ultra Frame. It's a little overkill, but I wanted something that I can use less therefore save electricity and time. Also wanted this one so I could do some serious vacuuming and skimming if I wanted to.

The Deluxe Pool cleaner that Intex sells does not work with this pump. The hose that comes with it buckles under the pressure even when properly filled with water prior to use. I guess its cheaper plastic not meant for this strong of a current.

So I went and bought a regular 1.5in hose and a couple of adapters, like many threads on this site suggest. I fill up the hose with water to get all the air out and do just as folks suggest. I connect the hose to the inlet adapter, and the other end to a standard pool vac with no nets or catchers. I've read over just about all the post on this subject in this forum, so I know I am doing this properly.

Here is my issue: after about 5 minutes of vacuuming on the WASTE setting with a standard pool vacuum head, the flow slows until it pretty much stops. I disconnect the hose from the inlet adapter inside the pool in hopes that the flow will start back up, but it stays off - I have to rush out to turn the pump off so it doesn't over heat. The collector basket at the pump is near empty except for a few leaves.

What am I missing here? Is there a clog building up somewhere inside the pump? I thought if I am on waste, I go directly out the waste/outlet on the pump and bypass the sand filter or anything else. What is stopping my flow?

I thank you all in advance for your suggestions and help. This is frustrating because the bottom of my pool keeps building up Crud and it's starting to affect the pools cleanliness.

Bama Rambler said:
Is there air in the pump basket when it stops?

Yes, there is air in the pump basket. I can't tell where it would be coming from. Hose is completely filled with water using the return water first, and fully submerged when attaching it to the vacuum and intake.

It starts off vacuuming fine, for a good 5 min. Then the air slowly fills the basket until nothing is pumping. I have to power cycle the pump to even get it to fill up with water again and moving again. I remove the hose and set the pool back up like it was just for normal filtering, and the pump starts circulating water fine again. It only happens when I attach the vacuum. Do you think the hose has a hole or something like that? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!
pureguava76

It certainly is possible. It's definitely an air leak. It could be in other suction plumbing and just being exacerbated by the additional suction created by hooking up the vacuum. Find that air leak and your porblem will be solved.

Hey all, thanks for help. Yes indeed there was air getting in. I had previously put the o-ring back on the top of the basket inlet/container incorrectly. This allowed a tiny bit of air to get in, but it was just enough to cause the problems mentioned above. Now that I have the o-ring back on properly the vacuuming works like a charm and my pool is sparkling now :)

Have a great weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.