Level Issues

Jun 8, 2013
I just installed a 24' round pool, and I leveled the ground per the instructions with a 2X4 and level. Florida is flat ground, but it was a lot of work. I worked for weeks to get it right before we installed it, and moved a ton of dirt. Well it is now filled, and I notice the water is higher in certain points, based on the line on the liner. Not sure if that is a good measuring stick or not. But it is about 1" or less i would say, maybe 1.5". It is like one of the 16 pillars is lower than the others, and not a whole side. I don't see any bulges, the skimmer works fine and it is barely noticable. But being the perfectionist my wife is, she mentions it, and i notice it too. So I would like to know:

-How do you measure "out of level"?
-What is a good range of out of level...from 0" to a max of X" is OK?
-If so, how can you fix it without draining the pool? Can you jack up one side and shim it with something?

Any thoughts and comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

After 3 years mine is about 3/4 inch out of level (it was within 1/4 when I filled the pool). I measure this by measuring the distance between my top rail and the water level at each leg.

How much is too much is hard to define and depends if it is getting worse or not. For installs, 1 inch out of level is considered the limit of acceptability, but that does not necessarily mean the pool will fall over. 1.5 inches makes me uncomfortable, but if the wall is straight in then I would leave it. At 2 inches I would definitely consider draining and fixing. I am not aware of fixing a permanent agp without draining.

In this case his "out of level" issue is a little different. From what I understand, his pool is level, but at one point one leg is lower (like a dip in that spot - correct me if I'm wrong). There are posts here (one for sure with pictures) where the owner jacked up the rails and shimmed under the leg without issue. But if his level issue is what I'm interpreting it to be, I would leave it alone.

Well pictures aren't coming out that great, but I measured the water line to each pillar. Here is what they were. I numbered from each side of the ladder.

1 - 4"
2 - 4"
3 - 4"
4 - 3.75"
5 - 3.75"
6 - 3"
7 - 3.25"
8 - 3"
9 - 2.99" It was very close to 3, but not quite
10 - 3.75"
11 - 3.75"
12 - 4"
13 - 4"
14 - 3.5"
15 - 3.25"
16 - 3.75"

Seems the patio block stage under each pillar was not quite exact. Being the stats nerd I am, the results are:

Results:
Total Numbers: 16
Mean (Average): 3.5775
Standard deviation: 0.39594

The data set indicates that the average is 3.5775 +/- 0.40 inches. Two standard deviations is over 95% confidence, so 3.5775 +/- 0.80 or 2.775 to 4.3775.

So in other words, none of my measurements are statistically significant enough to be outside of the 95% confidence interval. And my variability for 95% confidence is less than an inch. I think i am good....hopefully, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.