Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Level Issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Level Issues

I just installed a 24' round pool, and I leveled the ground per the instructions with a 2X4 and level. Florida is flat ground, but it was a lot of work. I worked for weeks to get it right before we installed it, and moved a ton of dirt. Well it is now filled, and I notice the water is higher in certain points, based on the line on the liner. Not sure if that is a good measuring stick or not. But it is about 1" or less i would say, maybe 1.5". It is like one of the 16 pillars is lower than the others, and not a whole side. I don't see any bulges, the skimmer works fine and it is barely noticable. But being the perfectionist my wife is, she mentions it, and i notice it too. So I would like to know:

-How do you measure "out of level"?
    -What is a good range of out of level...from 0" to a max of X" is OK?
    -If so, how can you fix it without draining the pool? Can you jack up one side and shim it with something?

Any thoughts and comments are much appreciated. Thanks!
    24k, IG vinyl, DE, SWG, aquabot (will fill the rest in when I look next time)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Level Issues

You say it's just one let a little lower but the pool, in general is level? I wouldn't touch it. You're good. Can you post a pic?

That being said, that one leg can be raised if you want to do it.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

After 3 years mine is about 3/4 inch out of level (it was within 1/4 when I filled the pool). I measure this by measuring the distance between my top rail and the water level at each leg.

How much is too much is hard to define and depends if it is getting worse or not. For installs, 1 inch out of level is considered the limit of acceptability, but that does not necessarily mean the pool will fall over. 1.5 inches makes me uncomfortable, but if the wall is straight in then I would leave it. At 2 inches I would definitely consider draining and fixing. I am not aware of fixing a permanent agp without draining.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

In this case his "out of level" issue is a little different. From what I understand, his pool is level, but at one point one leg is lower (like a dip in that spot - correct me if I'm wrong). There are posts here (one for sure with pictures) where the owner jacked up the rails and shimmed under the leg without issue. But if his level issue is what I'm interpreting it to be, I would leave it alone.
    Bestway SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

I think that thread was on a intex style and not a permanent agp?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes it was, and I assumed this pool was as well !! My bad!
    Bestway SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys. I will try and post some pictures and you guys can comment on those.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well pictures aren't coming out that great, but I measured the water line to each pillar. Here is what they were. I numbered from each side of the ladder.

1 - 4"
    2 - 4"
    3 - 4"
    4 - 3.75"
    5 - 3.75"
    6 - 3"
    7 - 3.25"
    8 - 3"
    9 - 2.99" It was very close to 3, but not quite
    10 - 3.75"
    11 - 3.75"
    12 - 4"
    13 - 4"
    14 - 3.5"
    15 - 3.25"
    16 - 3.75"

Seems the patio block stage under each pillar was not quite exact. Being the stats nerd I am, the results are:

Results:
    Total Numbers: 16
    Mean (Average): 3.5775
    Standard deviation: 0.39594

The data set indicates that the average is 3.5775 +/- 0.40 inches. Two standard deviations is over 95% confidence, so 3.5775 +/- 0.80 or 2.775 to 4.3775.

So in other words, none of my measurements are statistically significant enough to be outside of the 95% confidence interval. And my variability for 95% confidence is less than an inch. I think i am good....hopefully, lol.

9. Back To Top    #9

Lol I chuckled...

(I was a math major, physics minor so this cracked me up)

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

10. Back To Top    #10

LOL, yeah I bet. So do you agree with my analysis clambert?

11. Back To Top    #11

Lol i think you are fine

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

12. Back To Top    #12

Personally I'd leave it, keep an eye on it over the years, I suspect you'll be fine.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list