clarifier

Jul 3, 2013
I bought HTH Natural clarifier at wal mart for my cloudy water. It states to put in and run pump for 6 hours, but can you put it in right after you put in Chlorinating granules? Or do you have to wait? And can you swim after adding the clarifier? It doesn't say on the bottle. ( My ph levels are fine, about 7.2+)and my cl levels are also ok, but my water is a little cloudy, so I thought the clarifier would help) Thank You!!

What type of pool do you have?

What filter system are you using?

Where the the "cloudy come from? What have you done to the pool recently to make it cloudy? It could be as simple as running the filter longer with a higher level of chlorine.

Adding a clarifier may actually make it harder to clear up you pool.

If you have "dead algae" making your pool cloudy, you may be able to let it settle and vacuum it directly to waste. Sand filters can be slow to filter out fine debris. The PoolSchool link above can show you ways to improve performance.

I have an 18' Intex above ground pool. It has been cloudy since I put it up, but I think you may be right. I didn't have a test kit, and I just got one, and added all the right stuff to bring the PH and cl levels where they are supposed to be,, and it is getting clearer. My chlorine granules are 47.6% calcium hypochlorite. I just checked again, and it is getting clearer. I think I will do as suggested, add a little bit more chlorine( right now it is showing right at 7.2 PH, and about 1 cl, so I should be OK to add a little more, right? I have the HTH 3 way test kit, and the 1500 gallon intex filter pump. Thanks for the answers, I am new at the pool game, and just want to be sure all is OK, before the kids get in!

Depending on your CYA level, you may need to get your CL level up to 10 PPM or more to clear up an algae bloom. A full set of reagent (drop) based tests will really help solve this problem.

Pool stores will suggest a $$$ cart load of stuff to solve it. We will recommend chlorine (and other simple chems from the grocery store) based on test results.

Sorry to say, but you may need read and understand the articles in Pool School for this to make sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.