Very large Intex pools

Jun 14, 2012
MA
I was looking at larger Intex pools, my current is 15'-48". The largest Intex pool is 32'-16'-52". Does anyone own one of these pools? It does not seem practical in my area. I can't imagine taking it down and folding it up for the winter. The pool weighs 584 lbs. Also at $1800.00 you would think that Intex would have a real skimmer in the pool. I think I may go with the Intex 18' round pool next year. I am going to look for sales at the end of the summer. I might also look for a used permanent above ground pool.

I have seen some fabulous deals on used pools. I bought my pool from the local AG dealer. It was the "demo" pool setup in front of the store. I think they sell them (or try to) each year and then set another "new" one up the next spring. No real risk of hard freezes here.

IF taken care of correctly these Intex pools last a long time, Ive seen the regular 15x42 blue metal frame last 4-6 years. Even if you only get 2-4 seasons out of it, it will pay for itself if you live in a hot humid area and have young and restless kids that need something to do all the time..lol

I just bought a 16x48 ultra frame this season and I expect to get at least 4 seasons out of my 350.00 purchase, If it last any longer then thats just a bonus.

I do intend on throwing a thru wall skimmer on soon and would highly recommend upgrading to a 1600-2500 intex sand filter for a cleaner pool, or any other type of sand filter setup thats at least rated for 2,000gph.

poolnew-b said:
IF taken care of correctly these Intex pools last a long time, Ive seen the regular 15x42 blue metal frame last 4-6 years. Even if you only get 2-4 seasons out of it, it will pay for itself if you live in a hot humid area and have young and restless kids that need something to do all the time..lol

I just bought a 16x48 ultra frame this season and I expect to get at least 4 seasons out of my 350.00 purchase, If it last any longer then thats just a bonus.

I do intend on throwing a thru wall skimmer on soon and would highly recommend upgrading to a 1600-2500 intex sand filter for a cleaner pool, or any other type of sand filter setup thats at least rated for 2,000gph.

Do you leave your pool up in the winter? I have been taking mine down every year.

1380ken said:
poolnew-b said:

Do you leave your pool up in the winter? I have been taking mine down every year.

I have yet to keep one up through the winter, Im in central NH and we get some very cold winters so that has me hesitant. Its easier to just take it down for the winter.

Unfortunately 3 years ago I lost a blue intex liner to the mice in my shed. That liner was my first intex metal frame pool which was given to me by a friend of a friend who lived a half hour from me, He had it up year round for 3 years and he was only getting rid of it because his kids where older and not keeping up with it. That intex lasted 3 years up year round and 1 full season with me. so if the mice didnt eat it and nest in it I could have easily gotten 5 years out of it.

I have high hopes for the ultra frame I purchased this season. It just seems a lot more solid and well the bottom liner is almost the same thickness as my blue metal frame intex it got a woven type design in it that seems more rigid than the flat plain intex liner.
I would keep my ultra frame up for the winter but there is a pine tree above it that I need to trim back and the limbs will damage the pool if I dont take it down.

I really want to get that biggest intex one next year or year after, add a skimmer to it will be my 1st task. I know from having one on my summer escapes how important having one is.

I will be disassembling every september. (maybe october if we get a good solar heater going, going to try that this year on the 18')

I swear I saw that big rectangle one for $999 on walmart website once this year but now it's not even on there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agree with Joanie.....I would start right now looking and calling all the pool stores around and ask them when they are putting the diplay models up for sale (or maybe ask when the "new" models come out..).

If you have the space for a big pool (I unfortunately don't) and want to keep it up all year, the steel sided ones make sense. Now you just have to find a reasonable price for one.

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.