Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Very large Intex pools

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    347

    Very large Intex pools

    I was looking at larger Intex pools, my current is 15'-48". The largest Intex pool is 32'-16'-52". Does anyone own one of these pools? It does not seem practical in my area. I can't imagine taking it down and folding it up for the winter. The pool weighs 584 lbs. Also at $1800.00 you would think that Intex would have a real skimmer in the pool. I think I may go with the Intex 18' round pool next year. I am going to look for sales at the end of the summer. I might also look for a used permanent above ground pool.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    If done properly, intex pools can be left up over the winter just like permanent agps. My neighbor was successful for three years with his metal frame (non ultra) intex.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    techguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Antelope, CA
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    I have seen some fabulous deals on used pools. I bought my pool from the local AG dealer. It was the "demo" pool setup in front of the store. I think they sell them (or try to) each year and then set another "new" one up the next spring. No real risk of hard freezes here.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

  4. Back To Top    #4
    poolnew-b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    laconia, NH
    Posts
    131

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    IF taken care of correctly these Intex pools last a long time, Ive seen the regular 15x42 blue metal frame last 4-6 years. Even if you only get 2-4 seasons out of it, it will pay for itself if you live in a hot humid area and have young and restless kids that need something to do all the time..lol

    I just bought a 16x48 ultra frame this season and I expect to get at least 4 seasons out of my 350.00 purchase, If it last any longer then thats just a bonus.

    I do intend on throwing a thru wall skimmer on soon and would highly recommend upgrading to a 1600-2500 intex sand filter for a cleaner pool, or any other type of sand filter setup thats at least rated for 2,000gph.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

  5. Back To Top    #5
    JamesT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    48

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    I have had my 16 x 48 metal frame Intex up for 8 years. I've never had a leak and we are using it again this year.

    I did some mods on it this year and I think everything is going to work out just fine. Here is a picture of the old intex. http://www.troublefreepool.com/decid...ex-t63994.html
    8 year old Intex 16 x 48 metal frame - Intex 1600 Pump with 14" sand filter - Intex Old Style SWG (ladder broke and poked huge hole in the side)

    New 18 x 48 Ultra frame Intex - Intex 2650 pump with sand filter - Intex Old Style SWG

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    347

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    Quote Originally Posted by poolnew-b
    IF taken care of correctly these Intex pools last a long time, Ive seen the regular 15x42 blue metal frame last 4-6 years. Even if you only get 2-4 seasons out of it, it will pay for itself if you live in a hot humid area and have young and restless kids that need something to do all the time..lol

    I just bought a 16x48 ultra frame this season and I expect to get at least 4 seasons out of my 350.00 purchase, If it last any longer then thats just a bonus.

    I do intend on throwing a thru wall skimmer on soon and would highly recommend upgrading to a 1600-2500 intex sand filter for a cleaner pool, or any other type of sand filter setup thats at least rated for 2,000gph.

    Do you leave your pool up in the winter? I have been taking mine down every year.

  7. Back To Top    #7
    poolnew-b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    laconia, NH
    Posts
    131

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    Quote Originally Posted by 1380ken
    Quote Originally Posted by poolnew-b
    IF taken care of correctly these Intex pools last a long time, Ive seen the regular 15x42 blue metal frame last 4-6 years. Even if you only get 2-4 seasons out of it, it will pay for itself if you live in a hot humid area and have young and restless kids that need something to do all the time..lol

    I just bought a 16x48 ultra frame this season and I expect to get at least 4 seasons out of my 350.00 purchase, If it last any longer then thats just a bonus.

    I do intend on throwing a thru wall skimmer on soon and would highly recommend upgrading to a 1600-2500 intex sand filter for a cleaner pool, or any other type of sand filter setup thats at least rated for 2,000gph.

    Do you leave your pool up in the winter? I have been taking mine down every year.
    I have yet to keep one up through the winter, Im in central NH and we get some very cold winters so that has me hesitant. Its easier to just take it down for the winter.

    Unfortunately 3 years ago I lost a blue intex liner to the mice in my shed. That liner was my first intex metal frame pool which was given to me by a friend of a friend who lived a half hour from me, He had it up year round for 3 years and he was only getting rid of it because his kids where older and not keeping up with it. That intex lasted 3 years up year round and 1 full season with me. so if the mice didnt eat it and nest in it I could have easily gotten 5 years out of it.

    I have high hopes for the ultra frame I purchased this season. It just seems a lot more solid and well the bottom liner is almost the same thickness as my blue metal frame intex it got a woven type design in it that seems more rigid than the flat plain intex liner.
    I would keep my ultra frame up for the winter but there is a pine tree above it that I need to trim back and the limbs will damage the pool if I dont take it down.
    Intex Ultra frame 16x48
    Intex 1600GPH Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

  8. Back To Top    #8
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    Like I said, here in Minnesota many people keep their intexs up all year round. We can get very cold here (colder than NH I think) and are fully frozen all winter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    john redcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    B.A. Okla.
    Posts
    64

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    I really want to get that biggest intex one next year or year after, add a skimmer to it will be my 1st task. I know from having one on my summer escapes how important having one is.

    I will be disassembling every september. (maybe october if we get a good solar heater going, going to try that this year on the 18')

    I swear I saw that big rectangle one for $999 on walmart website once this year but now it's not even on there.
    ------------------------------------
    18' Summer escapes with original skimmer + intex pump + intex sand filter w/ Zeolite, Intex SWG. 1x ecosaver 50sqft solar panel with dedicated pump.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    Quote Originally Posted by john redcorn
    I swear I saw that big rectangle one for $999 on walmart website once this year but now it's not even on there.
    it's still there.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-32-x...-Pool/25539409

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    347

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    My point with the big Intex is that it weighs over 500 lbs. That is going to be hard to fold up and store. It only seems practical if you leave it up all year.

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    7

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    I realize that you're asking about Intex pools but for that kind of money, why not add a little more $ and go to a pool store and get good a steel walled AGP with all of the bells and whistles like a real skimmer and pump?
    24'x52" Opus w/ Portofino J hook liner
    Ecco sand filter w/1.5 hp pump
    Half deck (wood) with Biltmore pool steps
    Barracuda 1500 vacuum
    Rheem Digital Gas Pool Heater Model #266 - 266,000 BTUH

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Posts
    220

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    Agree with Joanie.....I would start right now looking and calling all the pool stores around and ask them when they are putting the diplay models up for sale (or maybe ask when the "new" models come out..).

    If you have the space for a big pool (I unfortunately don't) and want to keep it up all year, the steel sided ones make sense. Now you just have to find a reasonable price for one.

    Bob E.

  14. Back To Top    #14
    techguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Antelope, CA
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: Very large Intex pools

    I bought my "demo" pool during the summer and then picked it up Labor Day weekend. it allowed me to get the pad ready.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •