Question about chlorine level after shock, I'm basically trying to figure out when we can go in my pool. Short story: CC levels are at 13 after a shock, with the rest of the chemistry (details below) seemingly nominal and sparkling blue water.
Backstory on pool in my signature:
Had wall repaired and liner replaced, then filled pool with 60% well water and 40% delivery a week ago.
Got filter running, added correct amount of DE. I have run the pump constantly since starting it up, with the pressure looking good and getting strong flow at the inlet.
Last Saturday took a water sample to local pool store (I don't have the results with me but it's basically what you'd expect for fresh water, also zero iron and 0.3 [g/ml?] copper), paid $120 for probably $10 of grocery store chemicals, followed their instructions. They are a BioGuard dealer for what that's worth. They suggested not treating for the copper at this point, if that matters. I said I had some 1 lb shock packs at home so their instructions ended with 2 of these to shock. So Sunday night I tossed 2 of the packs in and brushed up the stuff that settled. This is in addition to the 2 Silk Smart Sticks in my skimmer that the instructions told me to add before all the other steps. Possibly relevant is that the sticks had pretty much dissolved and I have still been finding undissolved something on the floor that I brush up when I see it. I held off on adding any more of the chlorine Sticks as I feel like I'm trying to get the chlorine levels down at this point. Let me know if I need to add them either now or before I get down to the maintenance level, I understand I probably don't want to go to zero before adding them.
I had a TF100 test kit coming in the mail on Tuesday, so I was just generally monitoring with pool store generic test strips, which showed the chlorine pegged at 10 (the highest reading), which is the only info I have from before Tuesday night (last night), when I got home to run a proper test.
pH 7.65 (really just between 7.5 and 7.8)
The pool has been sparkling blue the whole time, and we've had overcast weather and thunderstorms and lots of rain (actually had to take about 2" of water out last night) since Sunday (we're outside Boston if that's important). Never had a real strong chlorine smell (I understand the smell is not because of "too much chlorine," but thought it may be relevant).
I guess I'm overall happy with the results, but the family kind of wants to swim seeing as how it's 4th of July and 90 out.
I am assuming the chlorine levels are coming down as I didn't have a big boy test kit to see what the initial shock levels were, and perhaps it has been coming down slowly due to not much sun.
I have read that commercial pools may be chlorinated to levels similar to what I have. My son's hair is also very light blonde so I don't want to be the one to make the call that gives him green hair, as I will never ever live that down. I am OK ruining old bathing suits. Obviously actual health and safety are primary but I'm guessing at 13 PPM my kid isn't going to dissolve in the pool.