Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Planning My Solar Heater Install

1. Back To Top    #1

Planning My Solar Heater Install

I have a 4x20 solar heater that we got last year. I plumbed in the diverter valve and built a quick frame for it that sat at ground level and I took it up for the winter. Later in July or early august I am going to put it up above the deck. It will be roughly 12' up - 4ish' for the deck + 8' or so above it. So first question, will my pump handle that much lift?- see my sig for pump details. Second question, last season it was only 10' or so of pipe from the diverter and back each way. Where I want to put it this season is on the other side of the pool from the pump. The heated water will be running through more like 35 or 40' of PVC back to return to the pool. Insulate the pipe or can I just add a return that dumps the water into the pool? If I add a return, I am thinking a simple one over the side now, then come fall when I drain the pool down install one through the wall.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Planning My Solar Heater Install

I'm sure the pump will handle it fine, but i'd be nice to know the HP and SF of the pump.

I wouldn't worry about the run of pipe. You could paint it black if that'd make you feel better but it really won't make enough difference to tell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump is the 1.5 HP version of the Power-Flo. I don't know what the SF factor is. I will check the nameplate.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

It's ok. That pump will be fine in that service.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit