Little Giant Pool Cover Pump Erratic Behavior- SOLVED

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
With my Autocover came a Little Giant Pool Cover Pump http://www.lg-outdoor.com/p/apcp-1700?pp=12

Model number APCP-1700, CAT 577301, made by Franklin Electric, Okalahoma City OK. 73112-2935

It had been behaving erratically, turning off during pumping, not turning on when water level raised etc. Yesterday I emailed Franklin Electric, and to my surprise a person knowledgeable in their repair called me back a few hours later. He explained to me what could be happening. First suggestion was that the float had a hole/crack in it, and he gave me the part number to do a warranty claim. I asked about pollen gumming up the works of the switch etc., he advised it could be possible that the magnet the float raises could be dirty, and just need a cleaning. Finally he suggested one other thing to look at, which is a small hole that if blocked could cause "air lock", which didn't fit my description of the problem (he implied it would not work much at all if clogged), but i could check it while i had it taken apart.

First i removed the small round access plate from the bottom of the pump housing. Second i took out the 5 philips head screws holding the blue housing on. Third i removed the pump float (it justs kind of clips in place).

Float had no water in it, and looked fine, allthough dirty. Both sides of the magent looked fine too.

Next i looked for the hole he was talking about, it's dead center of this picture and clogged.

It was also clogged from the back side so i had to remove 4 more screws i think to remove the cover of the impeller to get to the backside of the hole.
When i slide the cover off, it dislodged the debris, and i had my hole back.

Took about 10 mins., and it works perfect now.
Guess i'll have to clean it ever so often, or blow off my cover in the off season more often, so that water and debris don't mix and cause this issue again.

Just took apart my little giant pump that wasn't working referencing the above pictures, cleaned the little hole above the hose outlet as pictured and now it works like a charm. I ran the pump without the cover and evidently that little hole is some sort of recirculation system because it squirts a little jet of water. Thought I should reply to this thread just to say, worked for me and thanks!

I realize this is an old thread - but since google finds it as one of the top results I am adding my info here for others who may find this. I followed the steps above and had no luck. The next thing to check is the switch mechanism. Take out the 3 screws at the top of the mechanism over the float (you can leave the torx one alone). Make sure it is unplugged and carefully pry that top off and check the compartment inside. First validate lifting up the float makes the magnetic mechanism toggle. Then check the microswitch with a multimeter to make sure the contacts are connected when the float lifts up. In my case the inside was wet and the microswich while it looked fine no longer worked. It is a standard appliance type and found one in my junk box - dried out the inside, replaced the switch and resealed it. Good as new!

The micro switch on my pump just died I think. At least when I open everything up and toggle it by hand, the pump doesn’t turn on. However if I tilt the pump one way it turns on and if I tilt it the other it turns off.

The part number on the switch is XGM2-88Z1. I haven’t found a replacement switch online though.

9508138B-C533-4FA1-83F2-DA170A943BED.jpeg

Last edited:
If you can find a switch of the same dimensions and the proper ratings it will work to replace that one. It doesn't have to be that same part number. Those switches are pretty common sizes and configurations.

Just a little thread necromancy. I sprung a couple of bucks to buy the following microswitch as a replacement: XGG2-88Z1. The difference between the XGM (original) and the XGG I purchased was the force required to actuate the switch.

The XGG only required a little more force, so I was hoping it would work. It does, but not well. The force is just a little too much. The pump won’t turn on unless I give it a bit of a whack now to get it going. Once on, it will stay on, but it’s not a great substitute.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.