Pump efficiency selection help

flyboytfp

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2013
SW, FL, USA
Home built 1997, we purchased in 2000, Not sure of what pump/motor I have as motor has been changed by pap several times over the years, as recent as May this year. It seems that motor exchanged with same as before 1.5HP SF 1.1 with no consideration for efficiency, needs or electrical use.
Have added SWG, New Jandy CS200 sf filter, Borax and now looking at changing pump/motor. See my profile below as to pool details and photo of current motor label.
With this info what brand and model pump/motor (Two Speed) would you suggest for best match looking at overall energy and efficiency?
This forum has been most helpful and do appreciate all comments suggestions given. Thanks to all. Jim

Bama Rambler said:
Is it hooked up 120 or 240 volts?
Hello Bama,
Its 240.
Jim
Also have 55' of pipe from pump pad to valve that controls floor and wall outlets. Two return lines of 1X1.5" and one 2".
Two suction lines of 2" pipe. One from skimmer(55' to pump pad), one from main drain(35' to pump pad). Hope this helps.

Then the 8 floor returns are just standard returns? Normally, those are dedicated to an in-floor cleaner which is why I asked.

Also, the WFDS-4/24 will have about the same efficiency as your current pump on high speed. It will only save you energy on the low speed setting but I just wanted to make sure that there was not a need for the higher flow rate of high speed.

What is the make/model# of your current pump? One option would be to replace the current motor with a two speed motor.

You should be able to replace your pump motor with a Regal Beloit/Century/A.O. Smith UQS1152R 2 speed motor without replacing the whole pump. That should be the two speed version of your motor and should bolt right on. If you go that right, you should also figure out which pump seal you need and replace the seal also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mas985 said:
Then the 8 floor returns are just standard returns? Normally, those are dedicated to an in-floor cleaner which is why I asked.

Also, the WFDS-4/24 will have about the same efficiency as your current pump on high speed. It will only save you energy on the low speed setting but I just wanted to make sure that there was not a need for the higher flow rate of high speed.

What is the make/model# of your current pump? One option would be to replace the current motor with a two speed motor.
Correct. Floor returns are nozzles that pop up and rotate, sort of sweep effect to floor. About 3" wide/1" height. Wall nozzles come from 1.5" pipe with a 1" fitting attached to end. Floor and wall nozzles are controlled by Paramount water valve which controls flow to each nozzle in sequence, two at a time. Kinda neat as it uses water flow only as its source of power.
Would need high flow only for manual vacuum.
Original pump/motor not 100% sure as purchased property in 2000 and pool built 1997. I have manual from previous owner which says Sta-Rite Dura Glas for P2R and P2RA Series. I do know that motor has been changed out three times since I have been here. Pump not touched by us.
Have not taken much interest in pool till lately as I was too busy working. Just farmed it out to PAP as needed. Retired now, have more time to do things on my own and this site has been a blessing and very enlightening in many ways. We been doing it all wrong since 2000. Ha. Now they tell me.
Decided to clean up pool pad with all plumbing replaced and reconfigured, new filter, SWG, Borax and pump/motor. Pool looks great thanks to this site.
Was thinking two speed, low amps, bigger filter, SWG as way to go. Just need to finalize pump motor issue. Thanks for your help. Happy 4th you. Jim

drjake said:
You should be able to replace your pump motor with a Regal Beloit/Century/A.O. Smith UQS1152R 2 speed motor without replacing the whole pump. That should be the two speed version of your motor and should bolt right on. If you go that right, you should also figure out which pump seal you need and replace the seal also.
Interesting. I will check this out and see if possible. Thank you. Jim
Happy 4th.

flyboytfp said:
Correct. Floor returns are nozzles that pop up and rotate, sort of sweep effect to floor. About 3" wide/1" height. Wall nozzles come from 1.5" pipe with a 1" fitting attached to end. Floor and wall nozzles are controlled by Paramount water valve which controls flow to each nozzle in sequence, two at a time. Kinda neat as it uses water flow only as its source of power.
Paramount is a major supplier of in-floor cleaning system so guess what, you have an in-floor cleaning system.

These systems require high flow rates and pressure in order to properly clean the pool floor so it would not be wise to downsize the pump. Also, the heads will not work very well on low speed so the pump you have is probably the best you can do. If you don't need to run the heads all the time, then you might benefit from low speed but normally, the best thing you can do is reduce the run time of high speed to be just what is needed for the cleaner heads and that alone is usually enough run time for the pump so low speed really isn't necessary.

http://www.paramountpoolproducts.com/products/pcc/

mas985 said:
flyboytfp said:
Paramount is a major supplier of in-floor cleaning system so guess what, you have an in-floor cleaning system.

These systems require high flow rates and pressure in order to properly clean the pool floor so it would not be wise to downsize the pump. Also, the heads will not work very well on low speed so the pump you have is probably the best you can do. If you don't need to run the heads all the time, then you might benefit from low speed but normally, the best thing you can do is reduce the run time of high speed to be just what is needed for the cleaner heads and that alone is usually enough run time for the pump so low speed really isn't necessary.

http://www.paramountpoolproducts.com/products/pcc/

Holy c**. We did not know that. Thank you very much for that. This changes many things. Like forget the pump/motor thing.
Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.