1st let me say thank you all. I have been a lurker here for a little over a year, since buying my home that came with a pool. I have learned a ton.
Clearly I did not open my pool this year properly and thus my constant issues this year.
- Almost always no FC.
- Constant fight with alge on the sides of the pool.
- cloudy water
I do not have my $$$$ tester yet and with the 4th holidays this week I started the shocking yesterday without it. (I know bad form! But I am more scared of my wife and 2 daughters than anything else. )
Starting Information via Leslie Pools & my HTH Test Kit:
Using the Chlorine / CYA Chart I need to shock at 28.
Using the bleach calculator I came up with a need for 4.2 gal. (I am using SMART Liqui-shock 10%)
So I did the following.
Monday- Soaked my cell in a 5 gal bucket with 1:4 b-acid/water for 24hr. (did not have a lot of junk on it but figured it was better safe than sorry.)
1. Purchased 8 gal of liqui-shock
2. At 5PM put 4 gal of liqui-shock into the pool, turned on the pump and sweeper.
3. Started manually sweeping the pool sides and steps.
4. At 5:30 took samples from 4 different areas of the pool and I was not even at the 5/10 top range of yellow on the HTH test glass.
5. At 5:45 took another 4 samples as above same results, so I added another gal of liqui-shock.
6. At 6 took another 4 samples and I was 50/50 as far as top color of yellow or the next one below.
7. Continued to manually sweep and scrub the tile and pool.
8. 6:30 took another 4 samples and I was not in the top yellow anymore, added another gal of Liqui-shock. (off to dinner)
9. Came back out at 7:30 tested 4 samples it was 50/50 between the top level of yellow and the one under it. Added another gal of liqui-shock.
*** Total so far is 7 gal of liqui-shock at 10% per gal.***
10. Tested at 8PM was a solid top level yellow, swept the pool again.
11. Tested at 9PM steady top level of yellow.
12 Tested at 10PM steady top level of yellow.
1. Tested this morning at 6AM and I am at the 3-6 level. So I dumped in the last gal of liqui-shock I had.
Here are my questions:
1. With me being at work and unable to continue shocking did I just waste 40 bucks in shock? I have a short day so I will be back home and could resume shocking at 2PM.
2. Should I continue to shock the pool when I get home?
3. The water was never green it was just really cloudy, this morning it looked 100% better than yesterday. Nothing on the sides of the pool, water fall, or steps. Should I keep the kids out of the pool for another day? If I have to do this all over again anyways I would rather open the pool and do this whole thing again next week.
PS: I have a bunch of friends in the DFW area that have SWG pools and they don't do **** to their pools and they are AWESOME! If I had a buck for every time one of my buddies told me, " Jim I don't know what your problem is. I run my pump 9 hours a day, have the boy sweep and skim the pool once a week, pour a gal of acid into the pool every other month if the PH gets too high, pour in a bit of stabilizer if we have a big storm, add salt once a year at the start, and that is IT!"
I wonder why mine is so different?
Anyways..... thanks for the help. Sorry for the long post but from past observation I think I have answered all the questions I have seen newbies get asked.